Multichannel (non-passthrough) surround sound stopped working after June update

I am feeling thick. I see no option: “enable AC3 transcoding”

Do you mean turn off: “Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver” ?

Thanks for your patience.

I think you need to select 2.0 channels first (not widely known)

As I am also affected by this issue, I would like to know if it will be fixed in the next update?

Cheers

I’m not sure yet – we are fixing a couple of audio issues, but the next update will be on Sunday, and we don’t want to rush anything out that is not fully tested. With that said, once a fix is available I will post it here for testing. This isn’t dependent on the current update cycle.

Okay. That sounds good. Thank you.

Hi

Hopefully the issue is now addressed

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Hi Sam,

Tried this, and it didn’t work for me. Installed the fix over a current fresh install of osmc. Is there a way to tell if the new code is being tested by looking at the log?

https://paste.osmc.tv/sabagowemu

Regards,

Jason.

Linux osmc-Vivian 3.14.29-25-osmc #1 SMP Sun Jul 2 14:15:58 UTC 2017 aarch64 GNU/Linux

That’s not the latest kernel. You may want to hold back from further tests as we are still testing a couple of things that may not be stable

Sam

After applying the update the 4K won’t boot. I see the Please stand by notification and the OSMC logo.

Yep – there was a buggy kernel in the staging repository (after all, that’s why it’s in the testing repository). Jenkins is building a fix for this now.

If you need to lift any data off let me know and I can help.

Sam

Well that sucks. No, no need for lifting any data. If it was important I would have made a backup.

Yep – sorry about this one! I was planning to revoke it quickly but the power supply failed on my home server so couldn’t do that.

Hi Sam, any update on a fix for this problem?

Regards,

Jason.

Not at this time. When there is progress I will update the thread.

For now you can use an older version or use the workaround

Sam

Actually reinstalled after the installation of the bad “patch”, with the latest update and everything is working as normal, 5.1 selected (no passthrough) and DTS playing through the back speakers again. Also showing DTS : Neural X on my Denon X2300W.

Version: OSMC July 2017 2017.07-1

Hi Duncan,

DTS will be OK

I believe the issue only presents when using multi-channel PCM without passthrough enabled
I assume that @Brozzie’s comment was about the audio issue; rather than the update blip (which has now been fixed and won’t happen again)

Sam

True. Weird, I had no back surround on DTS(-HD) and DS/DD. After reinstall I do. Probably different error. I checked and with AAC 5.1 my back surround does not work. But found only one movie with AAC 5.1. So not a real problem for me. If I can help in any way, let me know. I have Star Trek (2009) on Blu-Ray disc, a version with AAC 5.1 and a rip with DTS so I can test accordingly.

I’m working on this. I’ll let you know when I need some improvements tested, thanks for the offer :slight_smile:

Sam

Hi Sam, any news with this issue,

Regards,

Jason.

Hi @Brozzie

Hopefully the issue is now addressed.

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.