Music artwork from parent folder not scanned

I have a bunch of albums in my library which were ripped from multi-disc releases and their folder structure is basically the following:

"Aphex Twin - Drukqs/"
├── "CD1"
│   ├── "01 - Aphex Twin - Jynweythek.flac"
│   ├── ...
│   └── "15 - Aphex Twin - Kesson Dalef.flac"
├── "CD2"
│   ├── "01 - Aphex Twin - 54 Cymru Beats.flac"
│   ├── ...
│   └── "15 - Aphex Twin - Nanou 2.flac"
└── "folder.jpg"

So each album has its own folder, and within the album folder there are subfolders for each disc, containing the tracks. The album artwork on the other hand is contained in the top level folder (folder.jpg), since I didn’t intend to duplicate it among all discs.

Single-disc albums don’t have such subfolders, so in those cases the artwork is in the same folder as the audio files.

Now, for some reason the Kodi bundled with OSMC doesn’t feel like picking up the artworks from these multi-disc albums, only the single-disc ones where the artwork is in the same folder…

I’ve checked the Kodi sources to see how hard would it be to jerry-rig this into the library scanner, but to my surprise, it already seems to be implemented since last April:

I’ve checked with Kodi 18.3 on macOS and indeed, the artworks show up correctly even if the audio files are in per-disc subfolders.

So why won’t this work for OSMC then? :thinking:

It’s only in Kodi matrix, flagged for backporting to Leia but it doesn’t look like that’s been done yet.

Are you sure? It works perfectly on macOS with kodi-18.3-Leia-x86_64, and the relevant code is there when checking out the tag 18.3-Leia from the xbmc repo.

It’s also mentioned in the Kodi v18 (Leia) changelog:

Improved support for fetching local art for multi-folder albums (disc sets)

Hmmm. I couldn’t see it here: History for xbmc/music/MusicDatabase.cpp - xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

We’ll investigate.

It’s on the second page @ Apr 15 2018: History for xbmc/music/MusicDatabase.cpp - xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

Sorry, I was looking at April 2019. Will check.

:thinking: Our code in the music directory is identical to Kodi’s. I will try to reproduce.

Later: works for me, albeit with only one flac in each subdirectory. I navigated to the directory and folder.jpg popped up, then Scan item to library and it worked.

Is this new media your scraping in or albums that have existed in your library for a long time? If it is old content are you just running a library update (I would not expect that to work) or actually browsing to music->files->source and “scan items to library” w/refresh?

Hmm, I went to the folder of such an album and did a “scan items to library” + forced tag loading and now the artwork is there…

Now I’m doing it for the whole library, but it’ll take a bit of time (3000+ albums) - let’s see if it fixes the artworks.

This whole setup is no older than a week (my brand new Vero 4k+ arrived just last week).

I didn’t mean for you to rescrape the entire music library. I just figured you might do the troublemakers. I’m not sure why rescraping an album pulled the artwork different than the normal library update. It might be ignoring your local art and just pulling it from the scraper.

FWIW Mp3tag can just embed the art pretty quick and easy for individual albums. I don’t know what difference being on a Mac would make but on windows I just drag the album folder to a Mp3tag shortcut, drag the artwork to the artwork box, click save, close program.

Alternatively Kodi handles the iTunes naming scheme well in that multi disc albums are prepended with 1-,2-, etc. in which case there would be no need for subfolders.

Just to be clear i’m not saying that you should, or need to change your files. I’m just throwing it out there as options.

I didn’t mean for you to rescrape the entire music library. I just figured you might do the troublemakers.

Nah, I’ve got a few hundred of these multi-disc albums. It was easier to reindex the entire library than finding them one by one.

Thankfully it worked! The artworks are there.

I’m not sure why rescraping an album pulled the artwork different than the normal library update. It might be ignoring your local art and just pulling it from the scraper.

I don’t know either. But I’ve verified via ~/.kodi/userdata/Database/MyMusic72.db that the artwork is indeed the local one, and not from the online scraper(s).

FWIW Mp3tag can just embed the art pretty quick and easy for individual albums. I don’t know what difference being on a Mac would make but on windows I just drag the album folder to a Mp3tag shortcut, drag the artwork to the artwork box, click save, close program.

Yeah, it could work, but I don’t want to store the same artwork in each file - it’s redundant. I’m carrying around a bunch of these albums on my iPhone too, and space is at a premium there :slight_smile:

Alternatively Kodi handles the iTunes naming scheme well in that multi disc albums are prepended with 1-,2-, etc. in which case there would be no need for subfolders.

I think I’d rather stick to the subfolder scheme. My CD rips have their cuesheets and EAC log files next to them and I don’t want those to get mixed up.

Totally off topic but I am really curious how exactly your playing FLAC files on your iPhone. And regarding the size, the file you linked in the other thread was 14.4MB with a 32kB jpg embedded. I think that unless you switched to embedding PNG files it would probably not have much of an impact with individual embeds. :grin:

Well, I wrote an app for that: https://decoupled.app :smiley:

On embedded covers: 32 kbyte would either be very low-res or low quality… Most of my covers are 1000x1000 jpegs so they take at least 200k if not more.

1 Like