Music files and the library

I noticed that after I had installed OSMC that there were 4 folders in Home.
OSMC/Music and Movies and Pictures and TV Shows,I think.

My questions are these.

1. after I ripped an audio CD into Music, I then scanned the folder into a library somewhere.
    Can I now remove the audio files in Music ?
  2. Where is the library ?
  3. I am using the Amber skin and can I remove the display of the album covers on the Kodi home page/Music ? And how do I do it.
    Thanks
  1. No

2. Adding to the library is simply adding/creating a database of the contents and locations of your media so it knows what to scan against the scrapers to find metadata and then present to you in an organized manner.

3. Couldn’t tell you, I don’t use Amber. Poke around in the skin settings.

Thank you action. That seems to say that it might be difficult to move those music files if as you say, the library contains pointers to the location of the audio files. Or do I misunderstand ?
Hmmm, I would like to do some more reading on what is in the library.
Any suggestions as to reading material ?
I am going to try a Google search with Kodi+audio+library.

Are the videos kept in the same library ?

Kodi is VERY well documented.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Main_Page

The library db’s are located at ~/.kodi/userdata/Database/

Actually its not so well documented as far as I can see dealing with audio CDs.
Specifically, the audio section.
I am starting with a fresh install of Kodi on an opensuse system. This will not be the final configuration but I am using it as a learning tool so I dont have to fumble around so much when I get over to the raspberry and osmc

My task is to load one (1) audio CD into the music library and see what it looks like.
So, I inserted a legitimate CD and that is as far as I got. The instructions say to do this:
The bold stuff are my comments.

2 Scanning Your Music Into the Music Library

To scan your music collection into the Music Library, follow these steps:

Make sure you are not in Library Mode (checkmark on the left). (No clue how to do this from the main screen)
Browse to the location of your music collection and bring up the the Context Menu. The selected item can be a music file, a folder containing music files, or a folder containing other folders.

**(***My music collection is on an audio CD and I dont see anything in the “Music - Files” that look like a CD.
If I try “Add Music…” it takes me to a long list of stuff like:
…Homefolder
…Music playlist
…Sap
…UPnP
and ending with
…Zeroconf Browser

Select the option labelled “Scan Item to Library”. Kodi will then scan the selected music source into the library database.

Once the scan is complete, you can browse your collection by selecting Library Mode.**

Hence my confusion. Maybe this exercise will help others.
Oh yeah, I am using the Confluence skin.

thanks

Importing into the Library can only be done as files - eg your music has to already be ripped in either .wav, .mp3, .aac, .flac format etc - the instructions above are describing how to import this already ripped music collection.

A standard audio CD does not have any (PC) files on it that you could directly import, first you would have to rip it.

If you go into System->Music->Audio CD’s there is an option “Audio CD Insert action” which is None by default, but other choices are Play or Rip. If you set that to Rip, choose a folder for it to rip to and then choose the Encoder (AAC and WMA seem to be the default choices available - I’d probably go with AAC) then in theory it should rip any CD you insert into aac files in that folder.

Note: I have NOT tried this myself, it’s a number of years since I last tried ripping a CD let alone trying to do it with Kodi, (and I don’t have a CD/DVD drive for my Pi anyway) so this is all based on my idea of how it should work.

(You could also choose to do this ripping in another program that is purpose built for ripping Audio CD’s)

Once you have ripped the files into the chosen folder THEN you should be able to import them into the library.

The “library” by the way is just a cross referenced database containing information about the videos/music that you have including meta data such as album covers, movie posters, plot summaries etc to make the media more presentable and navigable, the actual media files must continue to reside at the same location on disk that they were when you scanned them into the library.

Thank you DB, its beginning to make sense. The bit about moving the files is important so I better make up my mind as to where I want to keep them.
I tried the auto rip upon insert and it did nothing. I am running 14.1 kodi and I thing RC3 osmc.

Now, knowing this, is there a way to bulk clean out my music files and the library ?

and thanks again.

You can’t be running Kodi 14.1 - we shipped 14.2 with RC3.

I would run a manual check for updates to make sure you are fully up to date. There were some updates not long ago to (hopefully) improve the mounting of DVD’s and CD’s.

You’re correct in that I am running Kodi 14.1 on the Opensuse box and I think RC3 on the Raspberry. I couldn’t find the Kodi release number
I use the Opensuse to try and perfect the method before I try it “live and in color” on the raspberry.
The raspberry has these releases OSMC 0.9.9, Linux 3.18.13-1 and I wish it listed the Kodi release instead of the compiled date of 5/23/2015.

So, I am trying to figure out how to clean up my library and load my audio CDs and I am doing it on opensuse.

Can I just remove the library files under userdata via the file manager ? I know that that is dangerous hence my query as to how to reset the library.
This is what is in userdata/Database and what would happen if I removed MyMusic48.db ? Maybe I will try it and see what happens.

drwxr-xr-x 3 osmc osmc 4096 Jun 17 11:49 .
drwxr-xr-x 9 osmc osmc 4096 Jun 11 19:58 …
-rw-r–r-- 1 osmc osmc 839 Jun 17 11:50 1.txt
-rw-r–r-- 1 osmc osmc 974848 Jun 16 12:03 Addons16.db
drwxr-xr-x 2 osmc osmc 4096 Jun 15 19:42 CDDB
-rw-r–r-- 1 osmc osmc 28672 Jun 4 07:34 Epg8.db
-rw-r–r-- 1 osmc osmc 217088 Jun 16 11:47 MyMusic48.db
-rw-r–r-- 1 osmc osmc 512000 Jun 17 11:22 MyVideos90.db
-rw-r–r-- 1 osmc osmc 2916352 Jun 17 11:22 onechannelcache.db
-rw-r–r-- 1 osmc osmc 14336 Jun 16 09:22 saltscache.db
-rw-r–r-- 1 osmc osmc 32768 Jun 17 11:22 saltscache.db-shm
-rw-r–r-- 1 osmc osmc 12608 Jun 17 11:23 saltscache.db-wal
-rw-r–r-- 1 osmc osmc 1032192 Jun 17 11:40 Textures13.db
-rw-r–r-- 1 osmc osmc 36864 Jun 4 07:34 TV26.db
-rw-r–r-- 1 osmc osmc 49152 Jun 16 11:25 ViewModes6.db
osmc@osmc:~/.kodi/userdata/Database$

I renamed MyMusic48 and MyMusic32 on the opensuse box, and fired up Kodi and it seemed to start ok. I am going to rip the CD and try and scan it into the library. Then poke around and see what happens.

I would like to get the procedure nailed down before I rip 100+ CDs.