Music is crashing my Vero4K and finding it hard to troubleshoot

Any other ideas? The crash doesn’t show me the sad blue face. It just turns off and the Vero shows the red light.

The log should be saved after a reboot, so full logs would include kodi.old.log.

I’m unsure how my logs wouldn’t include any information of a crash…?

The system logs are not persistent across a reboot and that is what I believe Sam was interested in. If you are able to still access it via SSH after a crash but before you reboot then you can grab the logs via the terminal by typing grab-logs -A

Or, if it is totally hanging the Vero (ssh no longer working) try this.

Open a SSH session and run this:

dmesg -w

that will show a running log of kernel messages, and when it hangs you can cut/paste the output from the ssh session.

Thanks - I tried ssh’ing in but the Vero turns off - no hanging or shutdown process.

Do as I suggested above. Before the hang/crash happens, SSH in and run the dmesg command.

Will do

You can also watch the kodi log live while testing this. While running the dmesg command in a SSH window, open another SSH window and run:

tail -f ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

Looks like it could be a temperature issue

[ 51.640087] aml_snd_m8_card aml_m8_snd.46: IEC958 playback enable
[ 188.171577] thermal thermal_zone0: temp:114000 increase, hyst:5000, trip_temp:114000, hot:1
[ 239.270803] thermal thermal_zone0: temp:109000 decrease, hyst:5000, trip_temp:114000, hot:0

I uninstalled the youtube app because it was constantly creating entries in my log, even though I hadn’t even opened it after rebooting. Perhaps it was contributing too. I’m still monitoring it now…

Definitely something running amok
Normal Temp is 60-70, above 114 the Vero will shutdown to protect the device.

Boom

[ 1124.345470] thermal thermal_zone0: temp:114000 increase, hyst:5000, trip_temp:114000, hot:1
[ 1193.054060] thermal thermal_zone0: critical temperature reached(118 C),shutting down

Weird this occurs only when playing audio.

Anything special in tail -f ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log at the given time?

My terminal window disappears after the crash occurs.

Here’s my log:
http://paste.osmc.tv/iduhujutub

Suggest to try this two tests to possible find a culprit

1. Cope the file to the emmc (/home/osmc/Music) and play from there (then we exclude the network being an issue
  2. try with a clean Kodi install (see below), if you first do step one you can directly test via Music → files after the clean Kodi approach

Let’s test with Kodi default settings. Enter the following commands with an SSH connection.

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bak
systemctl start mediacenter

If need you can restore:

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bk2
mv ~/kodi.bak ~/.kodi
systemctl start mediacenter

If your original setup was restored as expected and you want get rid of the unneeded clean install you can delete that with the following command.

rm -r ~/kodi.bk2

Just letting you know that I’ve added some music to the emmc (osmc/Music) and it has crashed after 3 songs.

I’ll try option 2…

I’ve tried option 2 and am successfully running music from the emmc without any temperature warnings. What would be the next key things to add or change for my next tests? Perhaps trying it from my network drive, and then a change of the skin ? And then…?

Yes suggest first Network, then Skin and then one Addon at a time.
My gut feeling is one of the unoffical addons running amok

1 Like