Music library persistently empty on new Vero V

Apologies for starting a new thread, but I’m experiencing an issue with the Music library on my Vero V. I can’t see any other threads on this, so it’s probably something I’ve missed or done wrong at my end.

I’ve set up the Vero V, updating it once out of the box, and then restored a backup taken from a 4K+. I then set up AutoFS and the NAS mounts using the instructions here: https://osmc.tv/wiki/general/mounting-network-shares-with-autofs-alternative-to-fstab/

As there is a 4K+ in another room, I want libraries for both running off MySQL. I’ve set this up on the V using the instructions here (but with MariaDB): https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/wiki-install-and-configure-mysql-server-and-clients/19170

Then I added the sources from scratch, and updated both video & music libraries.

The result is that the video library is fully populated and works perfectly between both devices. The music library, however, is completely empty on both devices. Turning the SQL option off on the music library and rebooting the devices makes no difference. I’ve removed and re-added the music source, with no results. Updating the library seems to take several minutes to scan all of the music files, and I can see (and play) the files by navigating to the source folders through OSMC’s Media/File Manager. The “Music” and “Albums” menu options just show empty screens. The “Artist” option just shows a single entry - “[missing]”.

I’m at a bit of a loss, as I had the same setup following the same steps previously on 2 x Vero 4Ks with no issues.

Logs are here: https://paste.osmc.tv/xufovalalo

Before uploading logs, I rebooted twice, then tried updating the music library and then force-rescanning the entire source, without success. Hopefully someone can spot what I’m doing wrong?

I could factory reset both and start from scratch as a last resort, but would really prefer not to do this.

Many thanks.

When you turned off MySQL for the audio library and it still didn’t scan did you check the kodi.log to make sure it still wasn’t loading the MySQL db? If it isn’t scraping the audio even with SQLite then your problem likely isn’t with that. You didn’t have debug turned on when you took those logs so it doesn’t really show much info on what is going on during that library update. It shows an error but not any detail. Does it work if you try it using a Kodi path instead of the system mount? If so then maybe there is a permissions issue with the mount.

I’ve attempted debug logs, but it returns the error message “Log file too large, unable to complete upload”. As a workaround, I repeated the above steps but having only selected and forced a re-scan of one album folder within the source. Again, it gave the same error message about the log file size.

I’ve managed to locate the kodi.log and have taken a look through. I can see the entries for scanning the music files which were apparently successful, and can’t see any clear errors - but then I’m not sure what to look for.

Did you reboot twice before turning on debug and updating the library? This helps shrink down the logs to just the part we are trying to see.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. I’ve successfully rebooted twice, attempted to force-rescan a music subfolder (it went through the motions but nothing appeared in library), then exported debug logs, here: https://paste.osmc.tv/efezumexiv

Can you temporarily switch your skin to Estuary and see what it looks like there. It looked to me like the music library was adding in those albums normally so I’m wondering if somehow there is a skin tweak that is just hiding the library view.

Switching to Estuary has the same result - an empty music library - but returns the message “error building menu” when switching (and again when switching back). I’ve tried restoring the music menu items, but the library remains empty. Is there a way to “factory reset” the entire skin without resetting anything else?

That would be unrelated and not a problem. Restarting Kodi should be all that is needed if the menu doesn’t look correct. That message is just the skin helper add-on having an issue with being enabled on one skin and not the other.

If the issue is also in Estuary I don’t think resetting the skin preferences is going to do anything for you but some skins (including the OSMC skin) have a reset to default option in their skin settings. Otherwise one could manually delete the preferences that are found in…
~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/skin.<skin name>

I think to narrow it down maybe add an album via local media and see if that works as expected. If it does then maybe try making a mount point for the ftp source and scrape from that. I had run across some posts talking about http sources not working in the music library so maybe ftp has a similar issue. If adding from local media also doesn’t work then you might try dropping the music database (or just change the name tag in your advancedsettings.xml) and restarting Kodi to get a fresh start on the database.

Changing the database name, restarting Kodi, and rescanning the library has fixed the problem. Thank you so much for your help!

1 Like

Your welcome. I wonder how the audio database became corrupted in the first place though. And even more confusing when you said you turned off MySQL the behavior didn’t change which would imply somehow the SQLite database had a similar issue. Was there any kind of database restore from a backup or library import that preceded this?