My Vero4K Specific guide to install Netflix add-on on Vero4K

Stellar job that man!!!

1 Like

Followed the instructions and the Netflix addon is all installed, Widevine installed successfully, I can browse content but whenever I choose to play something I get a very brief “buffering” message then nothing, just back to the content listing - no black screen as if attempting to play video or anything.

Checked a debug log and there’s nothing in there that looks interesting…no errors to speak of.

Can anyone help? I’m on a Vero 4K, stable - May update.

I can try and grab the debug log later again if it will help…
EDIT: here it is: https://pastebin.com/zMj6yAye

EDIT2: A de-install/re-install of the add-on seemed to change the behaviour - videos now appear to at least try to play (h264 1080p variants) but they’re unwatchable since the screen updates at about 2fps (!)

Tried enabling the HEVC profiles in the add-on settings and I then get an endless “buffering” message and a hung Kodi requiring a “sudo service mediacenter restart” from an SSH console to recover.

OK - seems like the 1080p H264 streams are running with GLES on top doing something (which is why I bet the framerate is so terrible - if I manually choose the stream quality it can be playable but only at horrifically low resolutions):

These lines are appearing when the h264 streams are being played:

NOTICE: GLES: Selecting single pass rendering
NOTICE: GLES: Selecting YUV 2 RGB shader

What is that and how do I turn it off? I don’t see it in my log for any locally-served h264 or h265 content which are as smooth as butter - seems to be only these Netflix streams that are doing it…

In short, Vero doesn’t do hardware decoding when it comes to widvine. So HVEC isn’t supported, and 720p is the recommended max resolution.

In order to get hardware decoding there a license requirements that isn’t possible to implement without compromising Sam’s ideas of OSMC.

1 Like

No worries. Thanks for the explanation. I was only trying it out to try to work around their artificial limitation of only allowing Atmos on certain devices of which my 2016 Sony TV isn’t included (which incidentally does work on the Vero with this add-on) but only at 720p and no HDR it seems.

1 Like

Unfortunately this isn’t possible at this time

Sam

1 Like

Hi, read this thread with interest. My own interest is in getting Amazon to run on Vero4K rather than Netfix and I got as far as the prompt for installing Widevine but paused because of the need for 2.0GB working memory which is not available on my Vero4k. How do I make this additional memory available. Can I mount a usb stick or can I share memory from my workstation? Grateful for some advice here please. Keep it simple for a simple soul like me.
Many thanks,
Budge.

Do you have a large video library?
Can you upload a log so we can see current disk usage.

2GB isn’t needed as the end result, just for the initial download.

Hi Sam,
Thanks for the reply. I do not understand where disk usage comes in if all I have is the Vero4K device. This is what I couldn’t follow. If disk storage is required how is it to be accessed?

Disk storage is related to the internal Vero4k emmc free capacity.
On a typical installed system there should be more than 2GB free on the emmc allowing you to do the installation.
You can upload logs for us to verify that for your system.

2GB is needed for the initial download…OSMC itself only uses up a few gigs, it means something else is using up all your storage space on your Vero.

If you post logs Sam will tell you what’s using all of your storage up.

Lol, that’s not quite possible, but we’ll have an idea where to start.

Sams a magician, to him nothings impossible. :wink:

My concerns unjustified. I clearly did not realize how much memory was available. After this interruption while I worried about nothing, the completion of the Amazon VOD process went like a dream with Widevine download and installation working like magic!
Another bonus point for Vero4K.
Many thanks for all the help once more.
Budge

1 Like

is it just me? the netflix addon 0.15.2 only shows 50items per list at any one time? (49 + directory structure), in ANY of the lists you care to use/browse.

Just updated widevine to 4.10.1503.4 from 1488. Netflix stuttering and bad audio sync all gone!
The input stream adaptive app is still stuck at 2.3.22 for some reason and it won’t update. GitHub shows 2.4 something

1 Like

Can anyone tell me how to update the netflix app, and how to get it to do auto updates when a new release is out? currently on 15.2 and it says there is no updates, even though 15.5 is the current release.

Run @joakim_s’s script again?

[HOW-TO ALL PLATFORMS]Can I use Netflix on OSMC?(post 4) - #4 by joakim_s

The instructions on how to install the repository are on the github page. I think you might have to uninstall the old one and install it new from the repository to make the updates automatic (i’m not 100% sure on that though).

Installation & Updates

Repository that provides automatic updates for release builds: repository.castagnait-1.0.0.zip

• First download the repository zip
  • Open Kodi, go to menu Add-ons, select “Install from zip file”, and select the downloaded zip
  • Last step, go to “Install from repository”, select CastagnaIT repository and Netflix addon

cool thank fellas

As an FYI, I followed this guide exactly and afterwards when I launched Netflix I received errors. But being the tech savvy guy that I am i ignored them and relaunched Netflix. Boom goes the dynamite, I’m was in business after I received the prompts to install WIDEVINE I was back in business.