NAS drive for Vero 4k not accessible

Something strange happened… the Drive is called “My Book”, but suddenly the drive seems to have renamed to “My Book_” (that’s an underscore).

See the screenshot. That messed up all the references so the Vero isn’t finding the movie… I tried to cd into the “My Book_” directory, but just says “Permission Denied”.

How do I fix this? I would just try deleting the “My Book_” directory and then “mv My\ Book_ My\ Book”, but I don’t want to mess up the filesystem anymore than it is.

Thoughts?

That usually happens if the drive is quickly disconnected/reconnected. Rebooting the Vero should fix it. But you should look into why it was disconnected. I’m assuming that you use fstab to mount. You could try using autofs as it’s more tolerant of disconnects.

Tried to reboot, but still it comes up as “My Book_” Then I did a shutdown, unplugged it, plugged it back it. That did the trick! Now all the content is back on “My Book” and when it scanned it picked up my latest movies I added.

Thanks for the tip!

Well poop. That seemed to work for a while but we had some recent power glitches here and now it’s back to using “My Book_”. I tried rebooting and shutting down, but it keeps mounting back to “My Book_”.

Now I can have it re-scan everything so it finds the new files and hopefully removes the duplicates, but I wish I didn’t have to. I don’t really know anything about using fstab to moung @bmillham - maybe you can enlighten me? I just have it plugged in the USB port and it mounts.

I would suggest to unmount/safely remove the drive in Kodi and unplug it from the Vero. Reboot and then plug it back in. You can manually make a mount via fstab by connecting via ssh and then adding an entry for your drive to fstab via uuid as shown [here] but it really shouldn’t be needed.

Just a side note, and I would only suggest doing this if you decided to manually make a mount in another folder, not to move it for the underscore thing, but you can change a file path without dumping your library as shown in the following guide…

If it keeps unmounting/remounting then it sounds to me like you have a failing drive (or maybe the drives power supply).

Please show us what your fstab looks like. Also paste the output of mount (when the drive is connected). Once I see that we can start troubleshooting this. We’ll get it sorted for you!

How to you unmount/safely remove the drive in Kodi? I just use the “shutdown” command - I’m assuming that will unmount any network devices, no?

I’m asking because this is happening again, and the usual methods of restoring are not working. The movies themselves are fine.

Videos>files>[highlight external drive]>context menu>remove safely

Correct. The unmounting is performing the task of preventing file corruption in case their is outstanding writes to the disk. It also removes the mount point created. If the drive is not safely removed the mount point could be left behind. If the drive is plugged back in with the old path still existing then the automounter will just use a new name to prevent a conflict. Normally you should be able to unplug the external disk and then reboot to clear the issue. There is command that runs during boot to remove any folder in /media so when you plug the drive back in after the boot process it should automatically go back to its original location. If for some reason the folder doesn’t get deleted during boot there is always the option of manually deleting it from the termal.

The better long term solution may be to manually make a mount point using fstab or autofs so the mount point will never change.

Hi @darwindesign - Well I thought for sure that would do it, but no. Even after safely removing/rebooting/re-adding the drive, I still get a “This file is no longer available” message when I try to play the movie from the “Movies” listing. The movie plays fine if I navigate to it through Videos and play it.

Now I moved my hard drives around just yesterday. One is called “My Book 4TB” and one is called “My Book 6TB”. I think that it is has the wrong path for some reason. Where can I check that at?
I also saved a log to https://paste.osmc.tv/bahulatima if that helps.

You renamed the drive from “My Book” to “My Book 4TB” and since the automounter uses the drive name to choose the name of the mount point this renaming changed the file paths. The easiest fix would probably be to plug that back into a Windows PC and change the name back to what it was. Alternatively you could use path substitution to fix what you broke in the library or you can manually make a mount point via fstab where you have it mount to the old location. This is assuming your not keen on just dumping your entire library and starting over.

No - actually I just moved the drive from room A to room B. I also moved the Vero so there would be no confusion (I hoped). See I have a backup drive with the same content.

But I have a new problem now. I need a new Vero!!! It looks like it blew up. The power light does not come on - no picture - nothing.

So I’m just going to order a new one

… AAHH!! It seems every place is out of stock! This is bad… Do you know where I can pick up a new one?

I can see your library has stored the file paths to /media/My Book/ and I can see the drive that is mounted is named /media/My Book 4TB/ so either you don’t have the drive you think you do plugged in or else the drive was renamed. Either way the fix remains the same.

As for the Vero breaking I would try a different outlet and if that doesn’t work try another power supply with the same specs (or a USB A-A cable if you happen to have one laying around). As for a replacement Vero the 4K+ is out of stock to the general public permanently due to a new model being released in the very near future.

How long is “the very near future” ?

I don’t know anything that Sam hasn’t already publicly disclosed…

We will launch the next Vero this Summer.

1 Like

The power adapter is fine as it turns out. The plug had just come loose.

And you were right about the drive. I had switched the drives, thinking it wouldn’t matter. Apparently it does. Once I moved the drives back to the original Veros, everything is fine.

But why should that matter? Why can’t the vero just recognize the new path and pick it up? (i.e “\My Book” vs “\My Book 4K”)

When a drive has a name that is used by the automounter to determine what to name the mount point. Kodi stores full file paths in its database so when you change the drive name you change the file path and therefore the file is no longer where the database is pointing to. ie…

/mnt/My Book/movies/SomeMovie/SomeMovie.mkv
/mnt/My Book 4K/movies/SomeMovie/SomeMovie.mkv

1 Like