Need help with full backup

Done:

38 12 * * * root /home/osmc/osmc-backup >> /home/osmc/backlog 2>&1

Well I assume you interrupted the script by pressing Ctrl-c

I have’nt

Then check again if crontab ran via journalctl and check if you have backlog file.

Then not sure why rsync ended

Well there’s a ^C in there. Dunno where it came from.

1 Like

I might have made a goof.

This is what I got now:

backlog file:
/bin/sh: 1: root: not found

rsync logfile:
rsync -axHAXiic --exclude=.gvfs --exclude=/dev/* --exclude=/proc/* --exclude=/sys/* --exclude=/run/* --exclude=/tmp/* --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/mnt/* --$
2020/04/20 12:07:35 [32176] building file list
2020/04/20 12:07:53 [32176] rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at rsync.c(644) [sender=3.1.2]

Can you share URL of paste-log /home/osmc/osmc-backup

I’ll be back in 30 minutes

Ok, forget this. The problem is a different one.
Do I assume you created the crontab with crontab -e? That creates a crontab for user osmc.

The crontab line provided in the first post is meant for the system crontab.

sudo nano /etc/crontab

and add the line to the end.

Also remove it from user crontab.

I don’t have anything in /etc/crontab. I must’ve used sudo crontab -e to set mine up.

But than you would not write root in there!

Can we move this to another thread to avoid cluttering the how to with a user specific issue?

1 Like

Indeed. I didn’t follow my own instructions. Edited the OP.

Back!

Removed from user crontab.
Edited in /etc.
Added the line for being run @ 14:15.

And… fully working!

Mon Apr 20 14:15:01 CEST 2020 Backup version 0.1.12a
Going to back up to /mnt/Backups/2020-04-20 (unless I can’t find it).
looking for mounted media
media found at /mnt/Backups, accessed as autofs
1992937952 KiB available on drive
Counting and deleting backups older than 2019-04-21 or if more than 7 of them
Latest backup from 2020-04-19 kept
Now 1992937952 KiB available on drive
Going to stop mediacenter
Going to stop tvheadend
system is on /dev/vero-nand/root - copying from /
system has already been backed up today and will be overwritten
OK, deleting earlier backup
/mnt/Backups/2020-04-20/system deleted
Now 1992979704 KiB available on drive
Backing up system partition to /mnt/Backups/2020-04-20/system
Counting files …
65745 files and directories to process
There are 1 previous backups
Found latest backup at /mnt/Backups/2020-04-19/system
Incremental backup: copying new and changed files to /mnt/Backups/2020-04-20/system

a big thanks to you. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Wonderfull
:+1:

1 Like

Oops!
Went back to TV and found a grey screen.
Had to reboot by turning my Vero4K off.

The script stops kodi while the backup is being done, so you won’t see anything on screen while it’s working.

Did the back-up complete? If not you’d better do it again and wait for it to complete.

Okey dokey.
Will give another try later.

It looks like you are backing up over a network. It can take a loooong time so best done at night. By loooong I mean maybe an hour depending on how full your device is.

You will see the time it took in the logs.

… and forgot to give my thanks to you too, Graham.
Kudos for your script!

1 Like

Has worked like a charm tonight.
Again thank you all.:hugs:

2 Likes

Hi there,
My first post on OSMC forum!
I tried to run the osmc-backup script on my fresh Vero 4K+ after successfully installed rsynch and pv.
I encountered the similar error at the top of this thread but on a local attached NTFS USB disk.

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo ./osmc-backup /media/STORAGE/saving/osmc                                                                              
Thu Oct 22 00:05:40 CEST 2020 Backup version 0.1.12a                                                                                    
Going to back up to /media/STORAGE/saving/osmc/2020-10-22 (unless I can't find it).                                                     
looking for mounted media                                                                                                               
media for /media/STORAGE/saving/osmc not mounted in /media or /mnt                                                                      

I don’t understand the error as the /media/STORAGE is mounted and the /saving/osmc subdirectory can be listed

osmc@osmc:~$ df -Th                                                                                                                     
Filesystem          Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on                                                                          
devtmpfs            devtmpfs  757M     0  757M   0% /dev                                                                                
tmpfs               tmpfs     879M   25M  854M   3% /run                                                                                
/dev/vero-nand/root ext4       14G   11G  2.8G  79% /                                                                                   
tmpfs               tmpfs     879M  8.0K  879M   1% /dev/shm                                                                            
tmpfs               tmpfs     5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock                                                                           
tmpfs               tmpfs     879M     0  879M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup                                                                      
/dev/sda1           fuseblk    58G   29G   30G  50% /media/DL                                                                           
tmpfs               tmpfs     176M     0  176M   0% /run/user/1000                                                                      
/dev/sdb2           fuseblk   3.7T  3.0T  673G  82% /media/STORAGE   

osmc@osmc:~$ lsblk -f                                                                                                                   
NAME         FSTYPE LABEL   UUID                                 MOUNTPOINT                                                             
sda                                                                                                                                     
`-sda1       exfat  DL      E091-F118                            /media/DL                                                              
sdb                                                                                                                                     
|-sdb1                                                                                                                                  
`-sdb2       ntfs   STORAGE 46826CE9826CDF45                     /media/STORAGE                                                         
mmcblk0                                                                                                                                 
mmcblk0boot0                                                                                                                            
mmcblk0boot1                                                                                                                            
mmcblk0rpmb    

Could it be related to the fact the USB disk is formated into NTFS ?
Thanks in advance for the help

Yes, you can’t back up to NTFS, but that’s not the only problem. You can’t back up to a folder 2 levels below the mount point. Use /media/STORAGE/saving-osmc/ for example. It’s something I’ve been meaning to fix.

1 Like