Netflix on Vero 4K

OK, well cool! I stand corrected about the possibility of HD streaming apps in the future.

But for me, this stuff is “nice to have” and has very little to do with why I bought a Vero 4K… every TV and random streamer I have from the years past plays Netflix. None of them, on the other hand, can even switch my TV to 23.976 FPS.

Thanks for your kind words :slight_smile:

Sam

Have just ordered a Vero 4k and even I am keen to know if Netflix at 4k will be available any day ? I agree it may be there in multiple platforms already but it is good to have it in one place as that’s comfortable for me. So just keen to know if complete Netflix will be available some day. What is the current issue stopping the developers from adding this functionality because apart from the bigwigs like Nvidia and Amazon no one is able to add this on their device? Is it because there is some proprietary software that Netflix have to provide which costs loads of money ?

4K won’t be possible unfortunately. It requires Widevine certification as well as a secured boot mechanism (not open source).

We have to decode the content in software, which is quite taxing on the CPU.

Sam

Thanks for the confirmation.

So I bought the Vero 4K because I read a review that it was a great, secure and private device to use for Youtube, Netflix etc.

How do I get Netflix and Youtube on to my device?

Is there an app store? Simple guide?

YouTube is relatively simple - there’s a Kodi add-on that handles it.

For Netflix, I have been able to get it working in the past using this guide:

Note that YouTube is currently limited to 1080p/60 resolution. There is no definitive reason why the Vero 4K+ shouldn’t be able to play 4K YouTube stuff in the future, but it will require some changes to the inputstream.adaptive plugin, which is not under the control of the OSMC developers; and there has been no announcement of when (or even if) it will be upgraded.

Netflix is (for practical purposes) limited to 720p resolution - 1080p can play, but is so jerky it’s unwatchable. There is a possibility that smooth 1080p/24 playback will be available one day, but certainly not any time soon, and maybe never; and 4K Netflix, definitely never.

The review was incorrect, I’m afraid. The Vero 4K+ is a great device for local streaming - playing videos you have a copy of on your LAN - but if YouTube and Netflix are the primary things you want to use a media player for, then (IMO) you bought the wrong device.

Bringing this back up. Is this still not possible with Vero 4K and netflix?

What do you mean? It’s already possible to watch Netflix on the Vero 4K/4K+.

Also in 4K?

No - only certified devices can access 4K streams.

ok pity

Netflix is, for practical purposes, still limited to 720p resolution. Also, the videos are accessed via a Kodi add-on, not a separate app, so the UI is (arguably) a little more primitive.

ok thx