Network Drive Not Mounting After February 2018 Update

Hi guys,

I seem to have resolved the issue, but I thought that I would post it here in case it may help others.

After updating OSMC on my Raspberry Pi 3 to February 2018 which includes the kernal update for the Raspberry Pi to 4.14 my external hard drive which is mounted on my Asus DSL-N17U was no longer mounting.

When trying to browse to a location on the mount I got the following:

No such device

My mounts through fstab looked like this (yes, unprotected on my ‘dev’ box, but the same applies to using authentication with protected shares):

//192.168.0.254/sda2/Downloads /mnt/External/Downloads cifs guest,uid=1000,gid=1000,noauto,x-systemd.automount,rw,iocharset=utf8 0 0

When looking through the logs I found this:

Mar 05 20:46:47 osmcnew systemd[1]: mnt-External-Downloads.automount: Got automount request for /mnt/External/Downloads, triggered by 479 (nzbget)
Mar 05 20:46:47 osmcnew systemd[1]: Mounting /mnt/External/Downloads…
Mar 05 20:46:47 osmcnew kernel: No dialect specified on mount. Default has changed to a more secure dialect, SMB2.1 or later (e.g. SMB3), from CIFS (SMB1). To use the less secure SMB1 dialect to access old servers which do not support SMB3 (or SMB2.1) specify vers=1.0 on mount.
Mar 05 20:46:47 osmcnew kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -112
Mar 05 20:46:47 osmcnew systemd[1]: mnt-External-Downloads.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited status=32
Mar 05 20:46:47 osmcnew systemd[1]: Failed to mount /mnt/External/Downloads.
Mar 05 20:46:47 osmcnew systemd[1]: mnt-External-Downloads.mount: Unit entered failed state.

The line that caught my attention:

Mar 05 20:46:47 osmcnew kernel: No dialect specified on mount. Default has changed to a more secure dialect, SMB2.1 or later (e.g. SMB3), from CIFS (SMB1). To use the less secure SMB1 dialect to access old servers which do not support SMB3 (or SMB2.1) specify vers=1.0 on mount.

It seems as if this kernel specifically blocks SMB1 by default and it must be specified.

As a test I added vers=1.0 to my fstab:

//192.168.0.254/sda2/Downloads /mnt/External/Downloads cifs guest,uid=1000,gid=1000,noauto,x-systemd.automount,rw,iocharset=utf8,vers=1.0 0 0

After a reboot everything was fine again.

I hope this helps anyone coming across a similar issue.

If anyone reading this does know of a better way for me to share & mount the external hard drive connected to the DSL-N17U, please let me know. I would appreciate it.

Kind regards,
Fred

5 Likes

Just quoted your solution so that I can mark it as solved

Thank you @fredhen for the information. I’ve updated the SMB fstab WIki entry with this new option.

It should now be possible to mount SMBv1 again without specifying vers=1.0 after this commit:

To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

1 Like

Hi @sam_nazarko ,

Confirmed.

After moving to devel branch I am able to mount with or without vers=1.0 added to fstab.

Thanks for this!

Edit:
For those looking at this as a solution without having to add vers=1.0 it will also work once you move back to the normal branch.
In essence follow the To test this update section mentioned by Sam above:

After it has completed, remove the line added to /etc/apt/sources.list
You will then be on the normal update channel again, but the fix will have been applied.

Kind regards,
Fred