Network solution in my room

Hello everyone,

sorry if my post will be offtopic, but i will seek help here. i would like to create some network solution in my room. the flat where im living is not mine, so i cannot bring cable from primary router into my room, so i must look for some wireless solution. im adding here a picture of my network and would like to know what kind of mode should i use on My Access Point, that entire stream load from Owncloud/NAS will handle My AP, not Primary AP. When i play video on OSMC from Owncloud/NAS, all traffic will go trough My APā€¦

then i can create some port forwarding on MyAP that i can access both servers

so in short, all traffic between NAS & OSMC should be handled by My AP and both systems should be accessible trough My AP. Thanks.

( sorry for my english)

To do those features youā€™ve described, Iā€™d use a router which can do DHCP on the private side, and have the ā€˜publicā€™ side set to an address which will talk to the primary AP.
NB keep the private side IP range different from the public side IPs
HTH
Derek

ok, i will try it so, and on My AP i can make port forwarding for the two systems and they will be accessible also behind the My AP router from laptop, right?

i want to choose between this two routers to use, AirLive WL5460 or TP Link TL-WR543G

trough which will Full HD movies go better?

Your AP (My AP) should be in AP-Client mode. That way it will create another subnet separated from the Primary APā€™s subnet.

None of those routers are really up for the job imo as they only support G, which isnā€™t that fast. I would go with one of the newer AC routers that can do AC and N. N is probably good enough but AC will soon be the standard it seems.

What I have found is that, if you use the same wifi protocol/antennas for the connection between the two APā€™s, and the rest of your clients, your router (My AP) will have a hard time transmitting wifi both ways. (My setup did)

Iā€™m guessing that Main AP is using 2.4 GHz and most of your clients connecting to your AP (My AP) is also using 2.4 GHz. If this is the case I would use 2 routers (or a router + wifi bridge) on separate channels. One for connecting to Main AP and the other as My AP for the clients. Simply connect an ethernet cable between those (to the wan port on My AP).

Most commercial routers will not have the AP-Client function so get one thatā€™s compatible with DD-WRT. It should give you all the features you need.

1 Like

@marktheis thanks for your replyā€¦ i cannot change the primary AP and also cannot bring ethernet cable to My AP. the primary AP is not AC technology, but just N. so i found some AP-Client mode routers with N technology, so i think i will go for this option.

or i maybe found another option how to bring internet to my room trough PowerLine , but i dont know how can this affect the internet connection

Mio your network setup depends on a few things

If you want to go the wireless route

1. How the walls in your house are constructed which can impact WIFI signal levels (check your visibility to your current ISP router from your room. A lot of metal can produce a Faraday cage effect that will impact signal.
  2. How many access points are in the area that you are living in and what is the availability of an available signal band.Use a wireless sniffer to check this as a large number of APs in your area would impact the signal quality to your room.
  3. Size and definition of video files. The largest files can struggle over wireless.

If you go the wired route using an ethernet power adapter:

1. What are the availability of socket plugs near your ISP AP/router and your OSMC device. You will need to plug one of the plugs into a socket near the ISP AP and feed an ethernet cable between them. The other plug will mirror this put will plug into the OSMC device
  2. What is the quality of the electrical copper cable in the house. Old houses can have poor copper hence signal throughput will be impacted.

If you go the ethernet powerline adapters (which I use) I would recommend that you buy the ones with the pass through function as this means you will not loose access to a plug. I use the netgear range and I havent had any issues to date with them.

hi all,

so finally i received my RPi2. i changed my mind about my network solution, and i would like to make a router from the RPi2. to RPi2 will be connected wifi usb dongle (trough wifi dongle will beRPi2 connected to internet) and trough ethernet port will be provided internet for the 2nd RPi1. and here is the problem, im here behind comupter for half day, and i was able to make a dhcp server from RPi2, BUT when i make a ā€œadd routeā€ or some entry to iptables, nothing happens. masquarade nowhere, NAT nowhere, nothing what i set to iptables is not enabled ā€¦

can someone help me please with this?

pi@raspberrypi2 ~ $ sudo iptables --list
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
pi@raspberrypi2 ~ $ nano /etc/sysctl.conf
pi@raspberrypi2 ~ $ sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf
pi@raspberrypi2 ~ $ sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wlan0 -j MASQUERADE
pi@raspberrypi2 ~ $ iptables --list
iptables v1.4.14: canā€™t initialize iptables table `filterā€™: Permission denied (you must be root)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
pi@raspberrypi2 ~ $ sudo iptables --list
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

here is some viewā€¦