New AVR - and some blank screen issues

If a GUI-level toggle could be provided for the Vero, just as it is for the Pi, under in-playback video settings, that would be enough. Then, on a file-specific basis, deinterlacing could be bypassed. At present the option is there on the Vero, but greyed as not user-modifiable. If the hardware doesn’t allow that, that’s a shame.

There is a really simple test anyone with a Vero and a Pi can do if they have access to an interlace-encoded progressive source (a typical BBC bluray from the last 10 years, e.g. Sherlock, Dr Who season 5+). Whitelist 1080/25p as the only output resolution, and disable in-playback deinterlacing on the Pi. Watch how the Pi delivers perfect motion at 25p output, not a hint of a stutter, not a hint of moire. Now test the Vero - even with h264, it fails the 25p test, which seems conclusive that it is not getting the weave correct?

That’s fair enough…it kinda got lost in the midst of the previous thread…here:

A gui option is probably the way to go.

did you get a chance to look at the screenshots I posted yesterday? It’s not a question of subjectivity, on some material the Vero has bad moire that is simply not supposed to be there. Please see also this post.

A GUI option is doable, but I want to find a more elegant way to do this and avoid the plane cockpit approach.

@ac16161 I can see your images but hopefully I can get some samples (VC1 and h264), so that I can test some changes and improve things.

Obviously we want to make it as good as possible, so I appreciate the feedback. H264 is certainly doable. VC1 might be a pain / not possible to resolve, but I have some ideas to make things look a bit more appealing at least.

Sam

From what I can see, the CE patch is only used for 3.14.

4.9 gives different results.
Are you both able to use 4.9 for testing improvements?

Is it possible to switch back and forth between 3.14<->4.9. I was holding off 4.9 until its stable as our family all use the vero for livetv on a daily basis.

I can produce some 4.9 USB/SD builds. I’d like some testing in that area before we embark on any changes however. The h264 changes might not be needed on 4.9

I’m on 4.9, and happy to help out with testing. I also have a Pi I can use for comparison purposes.

Yep, I have 4.9 testing Vero alongside my 3.14 box.

Btw, I just tried executing that during playback of a couple of VC-1 files, and it had no discernable effect.

likewise.

I have a spare usb stick so would be happy to take you up on that.

You would need to cat afterwards and check dmesg to verify it’s active.

@jahutchi – I’ll send you some test builds shortly, if you can send me some samples.

Sam

I’ll try to capture a sample…leave this with me.

Cool – if you need an upload link, let me know.

This is proving tricky…

I was seeing frame skips just now in LiveTV: 1080i h264 ITV HD (with bypass_all=0).

To confirm I put the PlayerDebug info on-screen and could see the #skipped frames increasing at quite a rate. I hit record to try and capture this for you, but when I playback the resulting .TS or .MKV file it plays just fine and #skipped frames stays at 0.

I also find that if I stop and restart LiveTV on the same channel then the frame skips cease - so it almost seems like some sort of timing issue.

I checked in the logfiles (kodi.log and dmesg) but nothing is reported regarding the dropped frames: https://paste.osmc.tv/oheyayaqup if you want to take a look. The skips were happening frequently between 12:44-12:49 (when I hit stop) - the #skipped frames in kodi PlayerDebug was ~300!

I’ve been running for several months with my patch to set bypass_all=1 for h264 content and never once had frame skips, so the issue does certainly seem to be in that area.

Would be happy to do further testing against the 4.9 kernel if this can be ran separately on a USB/SD card as promised… for now I think it’s back to my custom build to set bypass_all=1 for h264

I’ve sent you some 4.9 test images.

Thanks - I’ll do some testing.

Is there an bypass_all equivalent parameter in 4.9, so I can try disabling di should I see frame skips during my testing.

Should still be there.

Can I help with testing at all, Sam?