New OSMC remote mappings [solved]

hi all,

i have a raspberry pi 2 with the osmc remote. everything works fine, but as the remote does not have volume buttons, i wanted to modify the default mappings.

i edited /etc/lirc/lircd.conf (which ln -s to /etc/lirc/osmc-remote-lircd.conf)i replaced the two lines commented out with the one below, hoping it would just work.
#KEY_REWIND 0x1A
#KEY_FASTFORWARD 0x1B
KEY_VOLUMEUP 0x1B
KEY_VOLUMEDOWN 0x1A

But unfortunately it does not. the forward and backward keys still function as fastforward / rewind keys.

any idea what i am doing wrong ?

cheers,

mots

I think you need to modify remote.xls (if you haven’t got one under userdata, then create it) to remap the keys you want to the desired actions. I’m unsure whether this file should be under userdata/keymaps. I haven’t got a ready guide to what the lines you need are to hand.
Derek

thanks for the info !

for the other users that may want to configure their OSMC remote :

• the file must be in /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/
  • my file remote.xml has the following content :
    <keymap> <global> <remote> <reverse>VolumeDown</reverse> <forward>VolumeUp</forward> </remote> </global> </keymap>

it works now :slight_smile:

cheers

Your original method of modifying the lircd.conf file should have worked - I have done exactly that myself before with the OSMC remote, so not sure why it didn’t work for you. (Did you reboot afterwards ?)

To do so you would copy the osmc-remote-lircd.conf to your home directory /home/osmc, edit those two buttons, then use the remote option in My OSMC to browse to your custom conf file.

thanks i will try this.

i edited the file /etc/lircd/lircd.conf, which points to /etc/lircd/osmc-remote-lircd.conf

even after reboot no effect. why this woudnt work?

As I said, I don’t know. It should.

I would not edit /etc/lircd/lircd.conf directly though - this is a symlink that points at the selected remote profile. The recommended way is to copy the profile you use to /home/osmc and edit that, then select it in My OSMC -> Remotes, which updates the symlink to point at the chosen profile, and also restarts lircd for you so that the changes take effect without a reboot.

Instead of commenting out the lines as in the first post delete them, I seem to remember having problems with the commented lines a while ago.

thanks for your advices guys, but…
i tried, to me these .conf file are not used or i must miss something.
i tried to put the file in home, modify it, remove the line instead of commenting them out. load it from the interface. restarting even.

nothing helps. the only thing that does work is the remote.xml i posted. strange.

So, why worry about a procedure which you have been advised is not the best way to proceed.
I could offer you another, non-recommended, procedure which I’ve tried on a remote which isn’t in the list for selection by MyOSMC -
You make a new .conf for the remote, add it to /etc/lirc, edit it into the lirc-full.conf. You can select it, and have the pointer link set up correctly.
Good luck
Derek

I’d like to use the new OSMC remote with Kodi on Windows 7.
But first I was quite surprised that almost half of the buttons are not recognized by standard Kodi remote/keyboard mapping configuration.
Could anyone share the customized remote.xml file that includes all the key codes used by the new OSMC remote ?

i had the same, then i did a clean install of osmc again and then it worked perfectly.

i am not sure if it is because the remote dongle was plugged during the install or if the recent updates improved smth, anyhow for me it works fine.

about the file used, i dont really know, as changing the file in /etc/lircd/ did not do anything at all.

anyhow here it is !

# Please make this file available to others
# by sending it to <lirc@bartelmus.de>
#
# this config file was automatically generated
# using lirc-0.9.0-pre1(default) on Thu Jan  8 11:26:07 2015
#
# contributed by  Dilligaf
#
# brand:                     OSMC
# model no. of remote control:
# devices being controlled by this remote:
#

begin remote

name  OSMC
  bits            5
  flags RC5|CONST_LENGTH
  eps            30
  aeps          100

one           872   807
  zero          872   807
  plead         886
  pre_data_bits   8
  pre_data       0x84
  gap          107676
  toggle_bit_mask 0x800

begin codes
          KEY_HOME                 0x0F
          KEY_INFO                 0x10
          KEY_UP                   0x11
          KEY_DOWN                 0x13
          KEY_LEFT                 0x15
          KEY_RIGHT                0x12
          KEY_OK                   0x14
          KEY_BACK                 0x16
          KEY_TITLE                0x17
          KEY_PLAYPAUSE            0x18
          KEY_STOP                 0x19
          KEY_REWIND               0x1A
          KEY_FASTFORWARD          0x1B
          #KEY_VOLUMEUP             0x1B
          #KEY_VOLUMEDOWN           0x1A
      end codes

end remote

MOD EDIT: Please use pre-formatted code tag (it looks like this </>) when posting to forum so that the file formatting is preserved and the file is actually usable by others who may not understand the difference.