New OSMC remote - standard long press functions not working

I’ve just switched from an older OSMC remote to a newer one (I’m hoping it might ease my battery drain problem). All of the buttons work correctly on a short press, but standard long-press functions don’t seem to be working - for example long-press left to adjust audio delay, or long-press right to adjust subtitle delay. All I’ve done so far is swap in the new dongle and pair the new remote with it - is there something else I should be doing?

1 Like

Post a log so I can check you are using the right dongle.

https://paste.osmc.tv/ezexusafed

Also, just noticed that a short press of the Menu button during playback no longer gets me into the Video Settings; instead it gets me into some sort of playlist information screen.

Looks like dongle is mismatched: 2252:0120, so won’t work.
I can send a new dongle later.

Hey sam_nazarko

Just thought I would check this, and lo & behold I have exactly the same problem with a mismatched dongle, my logs are here -
https://paste.osmc.tv/zuvisabota

Sep 09 22:54:28 osmc kernel: hid-generic 0003:2252:0120.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [HBGIC Technology Co., Ltd. USB Keyboard Mouse] on usb-xhci-hcd.0.auto-2/input0

I checked long-press left to adjust audio delay, and long-press right to adjust subtitle delay, niether of these work. Also checked short press of the Menu button during playback, and this does not take me to the Video Settings; instead it goes to a playlist info screen. Going through some other long presses i.e. Home Long-press and Info Long-press did not bring up the playerdebug overlay and playerprocessinfo respectively, as described on the Wiki.

Was the wrong dongle shipped with my Vero 4K+ ? Alternatively perhaps the mapping can be adjusted to work with this other version of the dongle ?

Either way, I would appreciate a solution.

Please PM me your order # so I can check this.

Sam

Please PM me your order # so I can check this.

Done.

If you want a stop gap before getting the proper dongle then make a new file at…

/etc/udev/hwdb.d/wrongdongle.hwdb

and then put this in it exactly as shown including the single space before the remapping lines…

evdev:input:b0003v2252p0120*
 KEYBOARD_KEY_7002e=volumeup
 KEYBOARD_KEY_7002d=volumedown
 KEYBOARD_KEY_7000c=kpleftparen
 KEYBOARD_KEY_70006=kprightparen

This is assuming the remote itself is the current model. The previous model remotes would need something slightly different. This will make the remote send the keyboard commands we want but it will not make Kodi load the custom keymap as that is also keyed the the VID/PID of the expected dongle. Instead you can just copy the keymap from the OS to your userdata so it always loads regardless of dongle status with…

cp /usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps/osmc/osmc_remote.xml ~/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/osmc_remote.xml

You might have to reboot twice to get that hwdb file to load. If it doesn’t work as expected then the dongle isn’t outputting the same as the proper ones and you would pretty much have to run evtest and figure out what needs to be tweaked in the hwdb file to make it match up with the cheat sheet I left as comments inside the keymap file above.

1 Like

This seemed to do the trick. Thank you.

So I conclude that I must have the current remote model, but not the dongle.

I tried all of the long key presses in the context of the ‘Home Screen’ and ‘Fullscreen Video’ long keypress definitions as described in the wiki, as those cover all the possible ‘long keypresses’ as far as the remote/dongle are concerned.

Not that in my particular case this wasn’t a problem for me, but I wasn’t quite sure what you meant by

i.e. the comments in the keymap file above ?

Once again thanks for your help.

Hopefully I will receive the proper dongle soon !

Chris.

1 Like

If you look in the osmc_remote.xml file you will find their are some notes ( ie <!-- xml comments -->) I put there showing what buttons are remapped on the three remotes that have been released. I didn’t think that tidbit was likely relevant to you, but it may be to someone else who at some point runs across this thread with a similar issue.

Glad that got you sorted.

I’ve sent @angry.sardine and @thechrisgregory a tool and firmware to update the software on the remote USB dongle itself and they have both confirmed that this has resolved the issue.

2 Likes

I somehow have a similar problem.

I reinstalled Vero4K with the current image from scratch and now I am not able to open the context menu anymore. My logs are here: https://paste.osmc.tv/awaratugob

I reinstalled another time and it doesn’t change anything.

Pressing the button for context menu on the remote shows the blue light, but nothing happens.

Best regards,
cyb

Not quite. I see you have a second gen dongle that the OS is recognizing…

Sep 15 17:58:16 osmc-kino kernel: usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=2017, idProduct=1688
Sep 15 17:58:16 osmc-kino kernel: usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
Sep 15 17:58:16 osmc-kino kernel: usb 1-1: Product: USB Keyboard Mouse
Sep 15 17:58:16 osmc-kino kernel: usb 1-1: Manufacturer: OSMC Remote Controller

And I see Kodi is recognizing it and loading the custom keymap…

2021-09-15 17:58:27.715 T:2723     INFO <general>: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/osmc/osmc_remote.xml

But I don’t see a handlekey event at all for the menu button so I would say that most likely the remote that is paired with it is a different model than that dongle which can cause this. I’m not sure how this would have come up just with a clean install though as it should have acted the same under released for over a year now. Do you have another dongle that maybe got swapped with one from a second remote?

1 Like

Oh man, that was it! I have two Vero 4Ks and probably at one time in the past swapped the remotes accidentally. I did not notice the context menu is not working because usually I am controlling Kodi with a tablet (via OpenHAB).

I now changed the remotes, paired them each with the other dongle and now the context menu is working on both systems. Thanks!

2 Likes