New Router - new password not permanent

Got a new isp. New router and password. Can connect to new network but on reboot, osmc will not connect. New ip address, router and password are lost and old ones reinstated. Had a look in /dev/lib/connman. There are 3 inaccessible wifi directories in there but that’s all i know about it.

Hi,

It should save the settings using the gui, If you provide debug logs, we should be able to work out why its not.

If you happy using the shell, you could try setting up connman via the cli. details can be found here:

Thanks Tom.

This is a common “quirk” with connman, it is seemingly unable ever to properly forget anything…

To fix it, go to the command line and run:

cd /var/lib/connman
sudo rm -Rf wifi*

Then set it up again in the GUI.

1 Like

Didn’t work, I’m afraid. Exact sequence:
Connected to wifi in osmc
Connected from tablet using ssh and deleted all wifi from /var/lib/connman
Rebooted.
Connected to wifi in osmc
Rebooted.
Not connected.

Additional problem for live tv (maybe this should be separate topic?) tvheadend client wil not preserve new ip address.

My guess is your SD card is gone and doesn’t keep the changes anymore.
Login with ssh write a file reboot and check for the file

1 Like

Good call. File not saved. What’s the best way to recover? Without starting over?

Well get a new SD card and copy the current card over

If it does connect correctly, but doesn’t persist upon reboot, it could be the case that your SD card is stuck in an RO state.

Any way of getting sd card out of read only?

No card is physically dead

Copied all files to new card. Attempted to boot from new card gets: “could not find root file system…”
I guess straight file copy not the right way to go?

Nope,

Either you install OSMC to the new card with installer and then copy your backup over or you clone the SD card

Hi,

Are running on windows?

If so you can use Win32DiskImager, to clone and restore

clone:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=239331

restore:

Thanks Tom.

Thanks all. My only other sd card seems to be shot as well. Getting a new one. Thanks forr the replies.

Cloned osmc unto new 8gb card. Everything works ok now. I understand that there are a limited number of i/o operations before a card will become read only. Does anyone know if this involves read/writes to the same area of the card or just the total number in general? I.e. Would a larger card last longer by providing a larger read/write area?

Having a larger card will help but it also depends on the sophistication of the wear levelling system within the card. Unfortunately, while we can measure I/O speeds, it’s not so easy to tell how well each chip performs when it comes to wear levelling.

I found an interesting thread on the subject of wear levelling here, if you’re interested.