Newbie needs help building an Pi OTA DVR

I’m a retired Windows IT guy in Englewood, FL trying to build my own over-the-air PVR/DVR since we’ve cancelled our satellite service. I have a new first ever Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. My Linux was never great and it’s very rusty as well. I did as much reading as I could before I started down the path briefly described below.

I installed OSMC_Pi2 as that is what was on the NOOBS menu and updated it. I’m using an ethernet connection with a static IP. I have all of the USB components plugged into a plugable brand power hub which is supposed to be one of the best to use with a 3B. I have a USB Hauppuage 955Q USB TV tuner which I know works as I installed in on a Windows 10 box with the vendor software version V8 and got channels detected and I could watch TV on the monitor. I installed the Conexant cx231xx USB firmware update in the /lib/firmware directory. Per Hauppauge they don’t provide any support for the 955Q with OSMC.

I finally got the Muxes to work. Now I’m hung up on getting the program guide to work. I have a zap2it.com (screentv.com) account and with a browser all looks good. But I can’t get any further. Somewhere I’m missing something to get it to run as a regularly scheduled job. I also can’t manually do a recording as no channels show up in the pull-down.

When it’s all working then I’m going to move to recording on a SD card. This should give me a DVR with almost no electrical consumption and yet be able to watch broadcast TV. I already have the licenses for MPG2 and WVC1.

I also have a FLIRC but I can’t get irrecord to see the unique Hauppauge remote although the setup seemed to go OK on a Windows 7 box. Looks like a poor spend.

My final goal is to completely document my process so that other newbies can have a less frustrating first Pi experience.

Is this solvable given the hardware that I have? If so, can someone HELP? Or what do I need to change to get to a successful result?

Do you use tvheadend?

Can’t offer much help with the EPG, as this differs significantly from country to country. Probably best to seek out other Pi users in the U.S. who have done this.

“But I can’t get any further. Somewhere I’m missing something to get it to run as a regularly scheduled job.”

Sounds like you need to set up a cron task.

“I also can’t manually do a recording as no channels show up in the pull-down.”

Impossible to answer stuff like this as you don’t mention what software you’re using.

“I’m going to move to recording on a SD card”

This is a bad idea - if you really do have modest recording needs, use a USB stick, it will perform better than an SD card. Most PVR’s require spinning media.

FLIRC - I set up mine on a Windows box, initially, and later modified the maps on a linux box.
This is quite adequate if you’re content with fairly standard keys - but may not meet your needs.
FWIW
Derek

The tab title is HTS Tvheadend 4.0.9