Next Vero x? next generation

Hi Sam
Perhaps I’m wrong, but I think you prepare (in your head and your papers) the Vero (next generation)…

Also
i need

• The quality of Kodi and the OSMC (you and your team) support
  • Wake On Lan
  • not see LED’s after I shutdown the Vero box
  • home théâtre (entertainement) (out of the box) and with OSMC support
    (( something like speakers in the same room , and speakers by Network (??) inside and near by (WIFI) the house.))

Nice to have

• GigaBit Ethernet

Merci
Michael

There won’t be a hardware change for some time. We are very early in the Vero 4K’s product lifecycle, and it’s only been on the market for just over six months.

Sales for the Vero 4K are very strong. Obviously we do listen to suggestions and community demand; but for now we don’t have any plans. In 2018, you should see a large series of improvements to OSMC, particularly for Vero users; as well as the announcement of some new services and products.

What a great time to be alive (and to purchase a Vero 4k!) :wink:

I’m happy with the Vero 4 box, and don’t need really a new hardware. OK Perhaps a solution to don’t see the red LED when I shutdown the Vero box.
But I’m very interesting to see you new services and products.
Allways like OSMC Kodi “Out of the box” with a little bit help of your friends.

Michael

Why would you want to shut it down? It is designed to be an “always on” device and has very low power consumption.

You see this a lot but on the flip side why would I keep it on if I know I’m not going to use it for a couple of weeks or so. The longer it’s on the higher the chance (It’s rare but it’s still a risk) of a power blip causing an unexpected reboot and possible file system corruption.

I myself will continue with shutting down when not in use (It’s easy for me as the case for my Pi has a power button on it) but if this was impractical then I wouldn’t hesitate to leave it on as @yknivag suggests.

Yeah if you’re not going to use it for weeks or are going away or something then yes power it down. In those cases the led being on is solved by unplugging it.

But if the downtime insufficient to justify unplugging then is it really worth powering off?

I use a NAS, and when I don’t shut down the Vero Box, my hard disc don’t spin down. (ok I’ven’t verify since long time)
Also i don’t like to see the LEDs in the darkness…
Michael
Edit: And the MySql Server is also on the NAS.

My Synology NAS goes to sleep without any problems while the Vero 4k runs nonstop. It remains in sleep unless I start playing a file or directly access any folder on the NAS. In the month since I bought the Vero 4k there has been not a single unwanted wakeup. Compared to other Kodi boxes, the Vero 4k actually shines in that discipline.

We made the LED on the Vero 4K bright because we expected most users to mount the device behind their TV. The remote doesn’t require line of sight and we include a TV mounting kit.

Let’s work out why your NAS is being kept alive. It will certainly benefit other users to do so if there’s an OSMC issue.

Sam

probably something to do with my config.

• MySQL Server run on NAS
  • path substtion for thumbnails to the NAS
  • path substition for playlists to the NAS

yeah, the last two points make any sleep mode on your NAS impossible as long as the media player is running.

1 Like

I know many other people have asked for gigabit Ethernet, and it’s not that big a deal in most cases. But, the Vero 4K is designed to play back 4K video, which can have a fairly high bitrate, especially when you include a bunch of audio tracks (even if you are only using one, the rest have to be read in the stream and discarded).

This isn’t enough to matter for normal play, but for fast-forward/reverse (not jump, but fast play), it makes a huge difference. A 35-40Mbps stream (including all audio) can only be played back smoothly at 2x over 100Mbps Ethernet. But, I can easily do smooth 16x over gigabit (using Kodi on my PC).

It’s only going to get worse in the next few years, as more and more people who want a network media player like the Vero will also be storing full backups of UHD BluRays, since the encryption is being broken, and hard drive space is getting cheaper by the day.

I really think the next minor upgrade to the Vero 4K hardware should include gigabit Ethernet.

I have never used fast forward with Kodi. Skipping works so much better. You want gigabit so you can fast forward?? Seems like a strange use case.

Also, full Blu-ray backups? That sounds extremely inefficient since Blu-ray doesn’t use optimised compression. Plus I don’t even know anyone with a Blu-ray player. It is simply a tool of the movie industry not tailored to the actual needs of the consumer (nobody actually wants Blu-ray discs).

I don’t really care about gigabit. But I don’t have a 4K TV either. And if I buy one, I’m sure the Vero will be sufficient for a very long time.

Although I don’t do full BluRay image backups, I know a lot of people that do, and seen quite a few posts about it on this forum. Go visit AVS Forum, and you’ll see there are more people with 50TB of storage than you might guess.

I don’t own a BluRay player, either, but I own around 400 BluRay discs. If I had more disc space, I would probably use full backups, because it’s much less work.

I’m not sure what you mean by “optiimized compression”…all modern BluRay discs use H.264 or VC-1 for their movies, and although it’s possible use a lower bitrate than most BluRay discs do, whether you see any visual difference depends a lot on what hardware you use to display, and exactly how you re-encode.

As for UHD BluRays, it’s still quite tricky to re-encode while maintaining correct HDR, so full backups are the safest way. You can save a little bit of space with a re-mux, but it’s not unusual for the main movie plus one audio track to take up 45GB, so you don’t really save much space.

If you want the best quality audio and video, BluRay is still the only way to get it. Also, there really isn’t any other way to actually buy an HD-quality video and have it available to you regardless of what kind of speed you have to the Internet.

But, based on some of your other posts, I see that paying for a movie probably isn’t something you do. I’m the first to admit that the movie studios are bloodsucking leeches out to drain as much money as possible from us, but as long as I can really own something and use it as I want (which is possible with BluRay), I’ll pay a reasonable price.

BD rips are fine on the Vero 4K. If you’re having problems with any rips, let me know and I’ll be happy to look in to it further.

Sam

I never said they weren’t. I just don’t have the disc space to dedicate to 400+ full images (or even remux).

Yep, that’s a lot of space!

Sam

I didn’t know that part about HDR. Makes more sense now.

I actually do pay for movies. In my country it is part of taxes plus I pay for cinema and several streaming services. It is definitely not my main source, simply because there is no way to pay for it (in my country at least), other than buying Bluray. Can’t wait till that changes but the market isn’t going that way yet.

I just noticed that the specs for UHD BluRay mean that 100 Mbit Ethernet is definitely way too low for a device that can support 4K playback.

Even 50GB UHD discs are allowed to have a total bitrate (audio, video, subtitle, etc.) of up to 82 Mbps, which is really tough to support on a 100 Mbit connection. Larger UHD discs support max bitrates that can’t possibly be supported (108 and 128 Mbps) by the current Vero 4K hardware.

I know you have a plan for a 5-year support cycle, but you’d better have new hardware a lot sooner than that if you want to keep selling a device that is intended for 4K playback.