NFS automount + transmission race condition on shutdown/reboot

Hi there!

I’m running OSMC Alpha 4 on a Raspberry Pi 2. I’ve setup NFS automount with the following line in /etc/fstab:

wdmycloud.local:/nfs/Media /media/wdmycloud nfs x-systemd.automount,noauto 0 0

I’ve also setup transmission-daemon to download files straight into this NFS share and it works just fine. The problem comes on shutdown or reboot, the system gets stuck for up to 6 minutes looping between the two following messages:

[  **   ] (1 of 2) A stop job is running for Transmission BitTorrent Daemon (30 s / 1min 30s)
[    ** ] (2 of 2) A stop job is running for /media/wdmycloud (31 s / 1min 30s)

It looks like transmission-daemon fails to stop and therefore the NFS share can’t be unmounted. It eventually gets to

[   OK   ] Reached target Shutdown

but the system never reboots.

I’ve just reinstalled Alpha 4 from scratch and the only two tweaks I’ve made to the out-of-the-box system are the extra line in /etc/fstab and running sudo apt-get install transmission-daemon transmission-cli.

Any idea on how to fix this race condition?

Sorry, no solution but hoping to see one as my shiny new Pi2 is here and I am downloading OSMC while typing.
I intend to install Transmission and Flexget (sheduled to run twice a day via CRON).

I see this is a probable problem and am hoping someone can post a fix for this.

That’s the exact configuration I’m running.

Please share your setup in case you didn’t find the same issue.

I think that wdmycloud could be causing your problem.

So far I have installed and configured transmission, set static IP for Wi-Fi and Ethernet, changed the skin to confluence, a couple of automatic updates plus a few other tweaks. Numerous reboots without any problems whatsoever.

How do you mount your NFS share? Do you mind sharing your fstab config?

I think you should change ‘noauto’ to ‘auto’ and add ‘_netdev’ and ‘bg’ to options.

Also you should try manual stopping. Something like:
sudo /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon stop
sudo umount /media/wdmycloud

See if it works properly

I’m no expert on NFS mounting but I think I’m using the right options, see this: OSMC Alpha 1 is here! - #62 by Pablo

It works fine if I shut everything down manually. That’s why I suspect it’s a race condition.

Sorry you are right, I keep forgetting about systemd :confused:

EDIT: but you are not using suggested ‘intr’ option. Try it.
It should drop all requests when the server/network goes down. It is not very suitable for intensive right operations, but it can be workaround for you, at least for now.

EDIT2: I can see your pont though, It looks like connmanager drops network connections before systemd can unmount shares and it should be the other way around .

The reason I’m not using intr is because it got deprecated on kernels after 2.6.25. See nfs(5) - Linux man page

Ok, you are correct. I guess I am not the only one that is still using it still without knowing it is useless.

I am out of ideas, sorry. Maybe someone with better knowledge of osmc shutdown process will address your problem.