NFS randomly not showing contents of subdirectories

I’ve had an intermittent issue for several versions now.

the nfs mounts (mounted via autofs) will occasionally stop showing the contents of some subdirectories underneath it.

192.168.1.2:/music-share /music-share nfs _netdev,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0

for example my main genre directory stopped “seeing” the genres under it:

ls /music-share/ALL-MUSIC/Genres

osmc@osmc2:~$ ls -al /music-share/ALL-MUSIC/Genres
total 4
drwxrwxrwx 1 osmc osmc 4096 Jun 27 23:52 .
drwxrwxrwx 1 osmc osmc 223 Sep 14 00:19 …
osmc@osmc2:~$

but if I specify one of the actual genres I know are underneath it, it can still see those contents
ls -al /music-share/ALL-MUSIC/Genres/Gothic\ Synthpop/
total 404
drwxrwxrwx 1 osmc osmc 4096 Jun 25 17:18 .
drwxrwxrwx 1 osmc osmc 4096 Jun 27 23:52 …
-rw-rw-rw- 1 osmc osmc 67766 Sep 19 2015 13-500x333.jpg
-rw-rw-rw- 1 osmc osmc 52946 Sep 19 2015 71899_0354-kraftwerk_02.jpg
drwxrwxrwx 1 osmc osmc 4096 Sep 14 22:05 And One
drwxrwxrwx 1 osmc osmc 4096 Sep 14 22:06 Apoptygma Berzerk
…etc

if I reboot, then everything is fine, for a while at least.
The issue seems to be most prone to occur when I tell it to scan one of my Genre sub-directories (I added each …/Genres/ as a separate source), occasionally while scanning one of those sub-directories, it will stop seeing any of the artist sub-directories under that genre (but other genres still show fine)

#sudo -o remount /music-share
does not seem to clear it up. a reboot always does though.

I’m a bit baffled by this behavior, as I would expect the whole mount disappear, not just some random directories under it.

dmesg doesn’t show complaints, and there doesn’t seem to be /var/log/syslog being written, so I’m not sure where to look for the errors.

I don’t know the answer to the main question but I thought you actually had to do this with autofs
sudo service autofs reload
or
sudo service autofs restart

This is not an autofs entry, but a fstab entry. If you are truly using autofs, then you need to comment out the line in fstab.

I also found this which may be relevant…
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Autofs#Advanced_Information

Sorry, I misstyped. I was using automount (systemd automount) rather than autofs.

However, I researched autofs , and swtiched to using autofs instead, and will see if that makes a difference.

1 Like