NFS set-up problems with new Vero 4k

Background: experienced Kodi user, several Raspberry Pi’s running LibreElec, large library of mkv files on a Synology NAS, shared database hosted on the NAS, fully wired network, just acquired first Vero 4K. After some set-up grief, did a clean install of very latest version of OSMC.

The Vero can see my network sources partially, e.g. I can connect to the NAS Samba service and play files. However, on selecting an NFS source, I can drill down to the level of say /volume1/video, but not access any subfolders. The NFS permissions on the Synology allow general access, and the Pi’s access the sub-folders without problem. Any ideas as to why the Vero is not able to see the NFS share folders?

Assuming I can get NFS to work, I then want to copy the same advancedsettings.xml file that my Pi’s use so that the Vero uses the shared library database. What’s the easiest way to do that? I assumed I could just type the Vero IP number in to Windows Explorer, which is what I do on the Pi’s, and that gives me access to the folder structure where I can just drag over the .xml file to the Userdata directory, but instead I am bounced straight to the osmc share. What’s the easiest way to copy this over?

thanks.

How are you setting up your NFS share? FSTAB mounting would always be the first option to avoid most problems…

Did you try using this wiki entry? Configuring fstab based NFS share mounts

I have fixed the NFS problem. On the Synology, there is an NFS rule “Squash” which was previously set to “No mapping” and this worked under LibreElec. I changed this to “Map all users to admin” and voila, NFS sub-folders appeared on the Vero.

So now I just need to figure out how to copy over the advancedsettings.xml file to point the Vero to my SQL database on the server. What would be the easiest way to do that?

Not sure what this means. You should be able to access the osmc home directory, under which you have .kodi/userdata

osmc@vero:~$ scp osmc@IPOFYOURPi:/home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml .kodi/userdata/

but you may wish to retain some other settings in the vero like cache sizes.

Thanks. I turned on hidden folders view in Windows and found the .kodi directory. Do my own advancedsettings.xml entries over-ride OSMC or do they append to the standard options? These are the settings I have added, and am glad to say it works (i.e. Vero is seeing the shared SQL database now).

mysql x.x.x.x 3307 kodi kodi mysql x.x.x.x 3307 kodi kodi

Yes

ok. Any advice on how to combine the settings to point OSMC to the central SQL databse with the standard OSMC settings much appreciated.

Actually I wonder why you don’t just configure your MYSQL settings via the GUI under MyOSMC Network.
If you want to do it by copy over your advancedsettings.xml copy it to .kodi/userdata/ also ensure that you exit Kodi first.

Generally there should not be any settings in the advancedsettings.xml in the user directory.
If you want to ensure that instead of copying over your file go in via ssh and use nano .kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

Details regarding how to access the command line interface can be found here on our Wiki: Accessing the command line - General - OSMC

Nice that there is a GUI for entering MySQL settings. Unfortunately, when I enter identical values to those that work in the advancedsettings.xml file, when I hit Exit from the SQL GUI, I get a “MySQL settings are incomplete” message, even though IP address, port, username and password are provided. Indeed when I use the xml file approach, when I look in the GUI it is loaded with the values it has read from the file and the library is up and running. If I delete the file and enter via the GUI, it doesn’t work.

That’s real strange, not sure if you want to spent some time with debug logs to figure out what happens or you just want to use it with the manual advancedsettings working.

For now I have simply appended the mysql settings to the system-level advancedsettings.xml file which I first copied to my userdata directory.

So now I am just about there. Feels like it’s been hard work, my first experience of LE on a Pi was much more of a “just works” experience. Guess there is a rationale for the My OSMC section hiding Samba in an “App Store”, took me ages to figure that out. The Vero 4K though is clearly a capable box.

It saves space for something that not everyone needs or uses

Glad you figured it out now

Sam