No 8 channel audio on July update

Using dvdplayer means behaviour is closer to Kodi on other platforms.
Larger number of users and devs fixing issues should mean it is more stable.
There should be less maintenance needed in the future as new feature will be automatically supported.

That’s the theory and why we’d like to make it the default.
There are currently a couple of bugs, but we should have fixes for those soon.

For now, enable omxplayer (in addition to MMAL) and you should avoid this problem.

Maybe not really related but I just noticed I got totally no audio from an mkv with only DTS in it, when I disabled 8 channel audio it worked again :question:

So both players disabled made the picture choppy (1080p DTS-HD X-Men the rogue cut).
Both enabled LOOKED GREAT… but would only play the director’s commentary (AC3) but it sounded fine and tho the video was great, I could NOT switch it to audio track 1 (DTS HD) and i don’t think I have ever listened to a commentary track throughout a 2+ hour movie.

So I looked for a movie that was 1080p DTS-HD 7.1 and only had ONE audio track (DTS-HD MA). Hurrah for backing up Big Hero 6!!

Both players enabled, no sound.
Both players disabled, skippy sound AND video. Oh and receiver said mchan stereo. Yuck.
OMXPlayer only enabled, NO sound and the “O” menu didn’t even have the top line with audio codec info. Again, DENON receiver said MCH Stereo.

So i tried MMAL only. Worked perfectly. DENON fired up and said “MULTI IN” and the PCM light came on. I went back to see if this config would work with X-Men 1080p R. Cut DTS HD MA 7.1 and it was perfect.

But I bet 30-50% of my 1080p DTS-HD backups have multiple audio tracks, so I am VERY greatful that this configuration works… directors are fun to listen to, but not for two + hours.

THANKS to all who made this posssible, I cant wait to pump the speakers up tomorrow… roomate is passed out.

Anything else I can provide for my problem of it down mixing to six channel audio, or am I forgot about in my own thread.

Can you just clarify. Are you saying when playing the video and bringing up OSD/audio menu that no options are available? Or other options are available but you get silence when you switch to them? Does that occur with dvdplayer (i.e. omxplayer disabled and mmal enabled)?

popcornmix, forgive me it was a late night but yes that sounds right. Here, I’ll do it again (i set it all back to the defaults).

Disabled passthrough (have DENON AV receiver).
Enabled Support 8 channel DTS HD audio decoding.
Went to Video, Acceleration. Tried both off, both on, was displeased with the results. (See my last post). The 1st movie i tried was X-Men: Days of future Past - The Rogue Cut. 1920 x 1080 and DTS-HD. Initially with both HW accellerators ON i was pleased with the picture quality, but then i heard this weird guy talking. I tapped the OSD for music settings and saw it was playing track 2, an AC3 director’s commentary track. I tried to change it to the DTS HD MA track but it went silent. There was a 3rd AC3 track but I didn’t try it (figured it was spanish commentary?).
So i looked for another mkv that i 'backed up from my collection of legit Bluray’s and saw that Big Hero 6 had just 1 audio track; a fat DTS-HD MA one and the file was x264 1920 x 1080.

I was SHOCKED that OMXPlayer played the video fine, and when i hit “O” the entire media/codec line was GONE.

So, I disabled the OMXPlayer (which I thought was short for OpenMAX and created FOR the Broadcom chip) and went with the MMAL HW acceleration ONLY.

Like i said it looked and sounded great… it was late and roommates were sleeping, but it seemed to work great. I just woke up and am running late, when i return I will try different ways and see if MMAL is really the best. I would be wise to try it on a mkv that has multiple audio tracks as well, now that i think of it.

As to answer you a bit more clearly–No, there ARE all the options, but it defaulted on X-Men to the AC3 track just played by default, and the DTS-HD track WAS listed but would not play sound. I’ll try now to disable omx & mmal on that x-men file… OOOPS

OK with BOTH omx and mmal ENABLED, X-Men D.o.F.P. Rogue Cut the video is great, but it plays only the director’s commentary track. The OSD shows the DTS HD track but when chosen it stops making sound. The 3rd audio track is also AC3 and it’s the same as the other AC3 track (plays fine too). Sorry i need coffee and shower. Hope that helps.

goober

EDIT: I just now tried to switch the audio to the DTS-HD track on the OSD… and it SAYS it is playing it, but it is still just two dudes talking back and forth. And again, this was with omx AND mmal enabled, passthru disabled, and Support 8 channel enabled. I need coffee.

Cheers,

goober

EDIT #2: So now i tried omx and mmal enabled… video is perfect, AND the DTS-HD track is working, but showing up as “MCH STEREO” on my DENON. It is as if OMX is limiting the amount of channels, because with just mmal enabled the DENON says “MULTI IN” and hits all the satellites (speakers). Gotta run–late for work. Hope that helped.

goober

From your log you get:

18:37:43 85657.179688 T:1388311584    INFO: ffmpeg[52BFF420]:     Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 1536 kb/s (default)

That is a message suggests libdcadec is not being used.

In my debug build I get:

10:31:18 866.228027 T:1701835856    INFO: ffmpeg[656FF450]:     Stream #0:1[0x1100], 20, 1/90000: Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA) ([134][0][0][0] / 0x0086), 48000 Hz, 7.1, s32p (24 bit)

The key difference is libdcadec produces s32p output (which you can see with codec overlay) and ffmpeg produces fltp output. The other difference is libdcadec produces 7.1 for this file and ffmpeg produces 5.1.

YES. With omx disabled and mmal enabled i CAN get that x-men “DTS HD” track to play but receiver says “MCH STEREO” (with just MMAL enabled the receiver displays MULTI IN (plus the little PCM light comes on). Havin MMAL enabled by itself has (so far) sounded the best–but people are mowing lawns so I shall try again this evening. Time to go get canned from my job, heh. I’m suuuuper late now i gatta run.

Cheers,

goober

Can you try updating osmc?

The silence with omxplayer and the 5.1 output with 7.1 audio should both be fixed.

1 Like

I can confirm the fix, I now have 7.1ch audio working great. Thanks.

working! thanks!

Hello, I did not see this solution until the download server had gone offline; today it is back up, so i ran a sudo apt-get update and sudo at-get upgrade but when i looked at the Download - OSMC page i saw that there was no 2015.07-1 listed. If i were to run sudo apt-get dist upgrade I am unsure if it will go back a version or what; and you said to just update OSMC. Nothing in the newly changed confluence skin changed after upgrading the OS (obviously) but I do switch the skin from /usr/share to ~/.kodi/addons to be able to use the “VideoExtras” addon (as it needs to make the skin writable).
I don’t see how this would effect any solution, however.

EDIT: YAY!! Guess it was enough to update the OS, as I now have that problematic X-Men The Rogue Cut playing in 7.1 s32p (24bit) as multichannel PCM and it is using OMX. Your solution is, again, confirmed. Thanks a bunch!!!

goober