No Network access to files

I linked a guide I wrote on the subject in the post where I mentioned it and gave you the correct text for the file (other than the IP as I didn’t know what it was). That guide should be easy enough to follow.

1 Like

Hi,
It looks like my previous problem has returned. I installed the latest version of OSMC, went to music, files, then tried to browse any of my shares (in this case a library called “flac” in my PC with domain (Acer-mb), & I get the message “connection timed out”.
The same happens for all my shared folders, & there’s been no change on my PC.

Here’s the log: http://paste.osmc.tv/xojukijoza

Thanks

Share browsing won’t really work without SMBv1 enabled (not recommended).
It’s best to enter the IP and share name directly.

Hi Sam,
I’ve just tried using PC IP & share-name, & get the same error.

Your log is showing that you are using host name based resolution, e.g:

<source>
            <name>BRUCE-VAULT</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://Acer-mb/BRUCE-VAULT/</path>
            <allowsha

I didn’t see an attempt to use an IP based source.

No - I made that change (IP) after creating the log. Should I create an updated log, showing the failed access using IP?

It could be useful. Double check the IP and make sure you have a static IP. Then you have no reason to need to use hostnames.

Here’s the log: http://paste.osmc.tv/inecamafel

IP is static on PC:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.99

If by this you edited your source and changed the hostname to an IP then there are two very big problems with that. First is that if you update your library (once you resolve you connection issue) this will duplicate everything in your libraries, and the second is that the links in your library are not changed by changing the source so if you click on a library item it will still be trying to open it using the hostname instead of an IP address.

If you wanted to test if just using an IP address would resolve the issue then you should make a NEW source pointing to your files, don’t set a scraper on it, and then just see if you are able to access your files from there. If that works then you can do a path sub to fix it, remove your library and start over, or else add an entry to a system level hosts file so it can resolve the hostname independent of DNS.

It may be prudent to double check the host to make sure it didn’t change IP addresses and perhaps reboot any networking equipment in case it decided to go a bit sideways (ie your router and maybe any switches).

Hi - No, I created a new source, I didn’t edit any existing, for that reason.

edit: just did a re-boot of my network switch & router, & all seems to work now!

sorry guys, for wasting your time, & thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like