No playback of video with RPi 2 or 3 with OSMC 2016.12-1

I did a fresh install of 2016.12-1 on a new RPi 3 on a SanDisk Ultra 32G Micro SD card. I purchased, and installed the MP2 and whatever the other license is, rebooted and verified that OSMC saw the licenses as valid. I have 2 HDHomeRun tuner boxes (total of 4 OTA tuners). I’m running Windows 7 Professional service pack 1, on a Core-i7 laptop. The latest Windows Updates have been applied. In Windows Media Center, I’ve configured the HDHR tuners and can see all 4 tuners, and have watched and recorded live TV. I installed Kodi on the local system, installed and configured the WMC-PVR client, and confirmed that I could watch and record live TV. I installed Kodi on a second laptop, installed and configured the WMC-PVR client and confirmed that I could watch and record live TV on that laptop as well.

The WMC laptop, the HDDRs and the RPi3 are all connected to a single Gig-E Switch and I can see the link and TX lights flicker for all devices.

I followed the same steps to install and configure the WMC-PVR client in OSMC on the RPi3. I can confirm that I can see the EPG data for all of the channels that I see on the WMC laptop, and the Kodi laptop.

When I select a program within the EPG grid in OSMC on the RPi3, I get the little box saying “Working…” and then it goes away, and I don’t see or hear anything to indicate OSMC is trying to show video.

Watching the WMCServer status window on the WMC laptop, I see the EPG requests from the OSMC RPi3, and I see the request to stream the live TV stream.

I repeated the above using an older RPi2. I got exactly the same results – I would see the stream request, the “Working…” window, and that’s it. No video, no sound.

Using the same RPi3 and RPi2 and Micro SD card, I installed OE and followed the above steps to install and configure the WMC-PVR client. When I use the OE install, and select a program from the EPG grid, the expected video and audio are played through the TV (connected via HDMI).

In OSMC, I configured the default selection action to be “Play.” No change. I configured the default selection action to be “Show Context Menu.” From the program Context Menu, I selected “Switch To.” No change.

I attempted to play a saved recording. I could select the video file from TV Recordings. Again, it said “Working…” but then it never played video or sound. I transferred the video file to a USB drive and directly connected that to the RPi3 and selected the video file via local-files. Again, I was not able to see or hear anything.

I transferred a MP4 video file to the USB drive and selected it to play. Again, there was no video or audio.

I’ve uploaded my Debug Logs here:
http://paste.osmc.io/hefagowugi

Why do you seem intent on running the December release and not updating to the most current? Otherwise, we need debug enabled logs to provide any accurate debugging of your issue. There were popups that required you to acknowledge when you created this post that advised you as so.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload some logs. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

I assumed that you’d want me to run the latest stable release. As far as I can tell, the latest stable release is 2016.12-1. If that is not correct, please send me a link to the version you would like me to use. The osmc.tv/downloads page shows this as the latest. The install tool also shows that as the latest.

I will try again after I’ve installed the version you think I should be using.

Thanks for your response.

Just run the updater found in MyOSMC.

Sorry, didn’t realize that was the most current image available.

Try play a video that definitely played before. Does it work?

Debug log may give clues. Also check for permission issues etc, could be a change in your environment (Windows Updates or Firewall)

The “saved recording” and the MP4 files that I referenced above were both tested on Windows, Linux, and OE installs on the RPi2 and 3. All of the above files played without warning or error except for OSMC.

I will re-image the Micro SD card with OSMC and reproduce the problem and upload the logs. I’ve had “issues” with the login credentials on the osmc.tv web site.

When I initially had problems, I suspected permissions or Windows Firewall. However, I have since turned off the Firewall, and changed permissions on the WMCServer. Also, there aren’t any permissions on a USB thumb drive that I connected directly to the RPi.

I applied all Windows Updates before all of this started. I can verify from the Update log that no updates were applied between testing OSMC and OE.

What do you mean by credential issues on the OSMC website?

When I set up my account, I used a password generated by a random password generator and saved in my password vault. It’s a process I’ve gone through a million times. It took a long time to get the activation link which I seem to have needed before I could log in. But then OSMC website complained that I was using an invalid username or password. I requested to reset my password, but it took a long time to get the reset link.

In other words… I’m not able to just upload the logs (now) because getting to the point where I could post the problem took me a while and I didn’t stop trying to resolve my problem while I waited to get into the web site. Now that I’ve gotten access, I’ll have to start over and post the logs. So… the logs will have time stamps from later today, rather than on Saturday and Sunday when I was originally trying this.

Looking at the Debug Log, I see that there is a problem in the way OSMC is setting up the request for the TV stream. Even though I’ve setup the Windows system to allow anyone on the network to browse and read via SMB, and the WMC server is set to not use account info, OSMC is still attempting to use credentials.

Having said that, I have changed my config to use PVR/PVR as user/pass. With this change, I was able to stream live TV.

I have also confirmed that OSMC is able to play video files. Previously I reported that even on a locally attached USB drive, OSMC was unable to play video. With this most recent install, OSMC was able to play MP4 files both on the locally attached USB drive and on SMB shares.

I can’t explain why this was a problem when I tried it on Saturday and Sunday. Maybe there was an issue with the install that was resolved with the most recent install.

In any event, the above reported problems have been resolved.