No popups on subtitle change

Since the last update of my Vero V (running december 2023), I’m no longer getting the little popups in the top-right of the screen when I’m changing the subtitle or audio track during playback. Those were very handy!

The device does switch the audio and displays the subtitles correctly. It’s just when I’m playing a movie with a lot of subtitles, it gets a little cumbersome to select the right one.

Did I mess up a setting somewhere? Or have more people noticed the disappearance of the popups?

I think we need a bit more to go on about this.

Those are toasts messages but I am not sure what would trigger them under usual behaviour.

Sam

What skin are you using? I still see them using Estuary.

As an aside, if you are using a shortcut to next subtitle you are likely doing more work than you should need to. If you have your prefered subtitle and other related settings configured to the language you wanted to see then it should automatically show the correct language most of the time just by toggling the subtitles on. If your using an OSMC remote this is keymapped to long-press (holding down) play during fullscreen playback. If you really do need to dig for a sub in a long list then you would likely find that bringing up the osdsubtitlesettings window is much less effort. If your using an OSMC remote this is keymapped to long-press stop in fullscreen playback.

I’m using Estuary, but the toast messages were fine in previous versions.

Tested long keypresses, but these don’t work on the infrared remote control (Logitech Harmony). If I’m keeping the play button pressed on the remote control, Vero is rapidly starting and stopping. I’m not using the OSMC remote.

I know of some triggers that I have seen:

• When selecting a subtitle or audio track during playback
  • After startup, when the Hue service connects to my Hue system, it show a toast message saying ‘Hue connected’
  • Sometimes it randomly says ‘Estuary info error’

Remotes running through lircd (ie using the IR receiver built into the Vero’s) are not able to use long-press. To get long-press support with a Harmony IR remote you would have to use something like a FLIRC USB reciever (it is what I personally use with all mine). You could find a button your not using for something else during playback and just use the keymap editor to keymap that function to a regular press.

As for the toast message not showing up I haven’t thought of a reason on why they would have stopped, and they most definitely work in Estuary for me. I suppose if your an adventurous sort you could try stock userdata to determine if it is something that has gone sideways with your userdata…

Default userdata instructions

Let’s test with Kodi default settings. Enter the following commands with an SSH connection.

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bak
systemctl start mediacenter

If needed you can restore:

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bk2
mv ~/kodi.bak ~/.kodi
systemctl start mediacenter

If your original setup was restored as expected and you want get rid of the unneeded clean install you can delete that with the following command.

rm -r ~/kodi.bk2