No sound on startup

I am trying to figure out why there is no sound played until you shutdown and restart the device?

And we might be able to figure it out if you would provide proper debugging logs :slight_smile:

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

The link you referred me to says to reboot the device after enabling debug logging which in my case will correct the issue. I will enable debug logging but not reboot my device. Will this successfully log the issue?

That is ok, main reason for the reboot is that the log file will not be too big (having the logs since your last reboot)

https://paste.osmc.tv/litifidajo, let me know if this is what you need. Still new to this.

Well the log file was one part but you also need to explain what your exact setup and problem is.
When do you have sound, when don’t you have sound. Which sound are you talking about? Menu click sound or Movie/Music sound?

Also adding the system log/journal could help.

Setup is: OSMC 2017.04-1 (kernel: Linux 4.4.27-9-osmc)
Problem is: No sound on startup, menu clicks or audio in videos. If I start the device and hit restart from the menu, I will have sound once it starts again.

https://paste.osmc.tv/zonacihora

Hi,

If you update to the latest version of osmc, 2017.05-2; does this issue still occur?

Thanks Tom.

Just updated and issue still exists. The device is powered by usb from my TV. If I power off the TV then turn it back on (turns on the pi as well), no sound. Once it is powered up and I hit restart from the power menu, there’s sound.

It’s a real bad idea to power the Pi from your TV. Get yourself a good quality power supply for the Pi, like this one: Raspberry Pi Power Supply 2.5A - OSMC

Why is it bad? I have a power supply but then it will be power on 24/7. It’s easier for it to turn on when I turn the TV on.

It’s bad because few (if any) TVs supply the 2.5A that a Pi needs to run correctly. And, it’s just bad to pull the power on the Pi. You will eventually end up with a corrupt filesystem.

The Pi is meant to be on 24/7, and uses only about $5 electricity in a year.

1 Like

The audio issue is because the pi is booting before the TV has advertised the audio modes that are available for use. Leaving the pi running as intended will resolve the issue.

No TV will supply the necessary power output for the Pi.
USB spec doesn’t allow this.

Not necessarily related to OP’s issues; but I will guarantee we will see them again soon enough and they will run in to PSU related problems soon enough.