No SSH connection and error during installation of update package

I got a message that new update were available.
It downloads as it should but give me an error during installation.
I can’t connect over SSH any more so what to do?
Have made a full (“power off”) restart but still no SSH connection and still a icon saying there is a update available.

Turn on debugging.
Try to run the update again.
If the issue replicates itself, use the Log Uploader tool in MyOSMC to upload all the logs to a pastebin and provide the link that is generated and displayed on-screen here.

Same problem here after yesterday’s possibly flawed update. Verbose ssh logging:

Bleach-2:~ mnewman$ ssh osmc@192.168.0.151
ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer
Bleach-2:~ mnewman$ ssh osmc@192.168.0.151 -vv
OpenSSH_6.2p2, OSSLShim 0.9.8r 8 Dec 2011
debug1: Reading configuration data /Users/mnewman/.ssh/config
debug1: /Users/mnewman/.ssh/config line 1: Applying options for 192.168.0.*
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug1: /etc/ssh_config line 20: Applying options for *
debug1: /etc/ssh_config line 53: Applying options for *
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to 192.168.0.151 [192.168.0.151] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /Users/mnewman/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /Users/mnewman/.ssh/id_rsa-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /Users/mnewman/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
debug1: identity file /Users/mnewman/.ssh/id_dsa-cert type -1
debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.2
ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer

I can’t provide log files because I can’t ssh or ftp into the box nor can I access MyOSMC to upload from there.

I rebooted the box from the GUI, but it wouldn’t boot.

Reinstalling RC3 now….

I dont think that is the same issue as OP is having.

Apparantly the pastebin the Log Uploader uses is down for a little while.

Stay tuned.

Pastebin is back up and running.

When was the last time you updated before that ? To my knowledge we did not push out any OSMC updates yesterday.

Did you update via GUI or command line ? There was apparently a significant Debian update released yesterday, but you would have only got that if you updated via the command line, or you had not updated in a long time and got some OSMC updates that were released some time ago. (Which would have also triggered installation of any pending Debian updates)

Are you saying it was not booting at all ? Or were you getting a sad face ?

One of the most common reasons for problems with updates seems to be running out of disk space - is it possible you were low on disk space at the time you ran updates ?

I have automatic updates turned on. I thought I had backup before update turned off because I can’t browse the share on which I want to save the updates and I’m too lazy to type in the path. (I use the Kodi backup instead.) Unfortunately, backup before update was actually on and since there was no path this prevented automatic updates from happening. So, yesterday I disabled backup before update and ran a manual update. I don’t really know how long it’s been because, lazy old man that I am, instead of fixing this I have just been dismissing the unable to backup dialog box.

After the update it would not boot at all. The on screen message ended with something like “unable to write to root file system”. I figured that meant that the SD card was corrupt. I reinstalled and all is well now.