No Wi-Fi connection after update

Have some Pi1 and Pi2 working and gave about 10 to family and friends. All with OSMC and Edimax ew-7811un, because they were recommended.
Any chance patching the kernel by myself for future updates?
I have no problems with buying new dongles for a few bugs.
But I don’t like throwing away hardware actually working.
And for know I’m sitting here with a lot of cable, connecting RPis. And an Rpi4 without OSMC.
:frowning:
Whined enough. Thanks for your work, Sam.
The first issue with OSMC since 2014.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

First of all thank you very much for all the effort you put into the osmc project! I really enjoy using osmc!

However, I also did the update yesterday and now can’t use my EW-7811UAC Wifi Dongle anymore. Since there are a lot of 2.4 ghz wifis being used in my living area I need the dongle to make use of the 5ghz frequency in order to have a fluent playback of my videos - at least the ones with a HD resolution.
I still had my old Edimax EW-7612UAn lying around and was able to plug it in to test it. Even that one is not recognized anymore.
With the wifi adapters plugged into the USB port of my RPi3 I can’t even see the “wireless menu item” usually listed in the “network settings menu” within “myosmc”. It seems that they are not recognized at all anymore.

Now of course I enabled the onboard wifi of my RPi3 again and so the wireless menu item reappeared in the network settings menu. But the onboard chip only supports 2,4ghz wireless LAN and in my congested house I am running into streaming issues with this.

I am looking forward for some advice and help. Thank you very much again!

BTW: I’ve found the following webpage about manually installing the drivers:

Would that be proper solution for me?

No, this won’t work, as mentioned above.
I managed to get it work again by downgrading the kernel.
sudo dpkg-reconfigure rbp2-image-4.14.78-4-osmc

3 Likes

@Joshy @GinoGino you should be able to build the driver(s) yourself but this might require you rebuilding the driver(s) whenever the kernel gets upgraded (at which point you might also need to temporarily attach the Pi to a cable).

For this to be a realistic option, @sam_nazarko needs to fix some issues with the kernel headers package (I’m unsure of its current status) and, ideally, create a headers metapackage.

1 Like

I am using the official Wi-Fi Dongle from OSMC and after the October Update it is no longer working. I am able to use the internal Wi-Fi on the Raspberry PI. Any suggestions to get this Dongle working again?

Could you somehow get logs to us?

I appreciate that you might have to do a few workarounds to get the log posted but without a log it’s going to be difficult to pin down the problem.

Sure.
https://paste.osmc.tv/uforivusix

I don’t have this dongle but there’s an error message in the log:

mt76x0 1-1.4:1.0: Direct firmware load for mediatek/mt7610u.bin failed with error -2

I can’t find a file /lib/firmware/mediatek/mt7610u.bin on my RPi but one does exist in /lib/firmware.

If the file exists in /lib/firmware on your system – which it should – create a mediatek directory and copy mt7610u.bin into it. Then reboot.

It looks like the 4.19 driver for MT7610U expects the firmware in a slightly different place. @apb0703 - can you confirm if this resolves the problem? I will be able to push a fix quite promptly if this is indeed the case.

Sam

I see quite a few topics regarding this issue and probably it’s better to paste the log here
https://paste.osmc.tv/ifafupefaj

Can you try this via SSH:

sudo mkdir -p /lib/firmware/mediatek
sudo cp /lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.template.dat /lib/firmware/mediatek/mt7610u.bin
reboot

Otherwise, I can check this in a couple of hours.

Sam

Edited by dillthedog

@sam_nazarko Tried that but nothing changed,also please edit your post , because it might confuse anyone not experienced enough with Linux folders etc.

https://paste.osmc.tv/dapukemice

I am on hostapd based setup and for me its exactly an opposite issue :slight_smile:
External USB card works, but internal (RP3 built-in wifi0) does not.
Seems hostapd is not fully compatible with the new kernel:

nl80211: interface wlan0 in phy phy1
nl80211: Set mode ifindex 4 iftype 3 (AP)
nl80211: Setup AP(wlan0) - device_ap_sme=1 use_monitor=0
nl80211: Subscribe to mgmt frames with AP handle 0x18ec0c0 (device SME)
nl80211: Register frame type=0xd0 (WLAN_FC_STYPE_ACTION) nl_handle=0x18ec0c0 match=
nl80211: Register frame command failed (type=208): ret=-22 (Invalid argument)
nl80211: Register frame match - hexdump(len=0): [NULL]
nl80211: Could not configure driver mode
nl80211: deinit ifname=wlan0 disabled_11b_rates=0

Tried the suggestion above. Did not work. I am getting no lights from the dongle. It is almost like after the update it bricked.

You need to be a bit more specific. Which suggestion?

Please provide logs again.

Sam’s suggestion

You’re getting this in the log:

Nov 02 20:52:16 osmc kernel: mt76x0 1-1.5:1.0: Invalid firmware image

What’s the output from running md5sum /lib/firmware/mediatek/mt7610u.bin

There was a mistake in Sam’s post, which I’ve edited. Please re-read and try again.

1 Like

I’m checking this now - as the path shouldn’t have actually changed…

Please provide full logs: grab-logs -A

Update: It looks like it might be a kernel-related issue

I had previously used rpi-update to update the installed kernel (to 4.14.90-v7+). When I revert back to the stock kernel (4.14.79-v7+), things work as documented.

FYI, the previous OSMC kernel was 4.14.78-4.

Also see:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=224931&start=25#p1396409

Unfortunately the hostapd 2.4 shipped with Raspbian Stretch failed with Linux 4.18 and newer

It seems that you need version 2.7, which ships with Debian buster.