No Wi-Fi connection after update

e19e5a7b22e798e3d2997a09cdb86a40  /lib/firmware/mediatek/mt7610u.bin

Hi
Thank you, that is what I’ve found as well.
I’ve solved the issue by adding stretch-backports to sources.list and forcing install the newest version of hostapd (Version: 2:2.7+git20190128+0c1e29f-4~bpo9+2)
Thanks for support

1 Like

Running of Rasberry-Pi.
Just performed latest update and there is no longer any network connection (wi-fi).
There is also no “my-osmc” to try to fix it.

All I have are the standard “System” menu items.
System->System Info->Network says nothing connected, and check network settings.
A bit hard to do since those are in “my-osmc” and it has vanished.

Looks like I may be facing a re-build???

Moved your post here, depending on your WiFi dongle you would not need to reinstall

The alternative place to find the MyOSMC app is setting>add-ons>My add-ons>program add-ons>MyOSMC

Aside from that fixing your issue you have not given us enough to help you here. Logs would be a good place to start.

No dongle. Built-in. Was working perfectly before the update.

If I could connect to it, I could give logs.
No network = no logs. I would have thought that was obvious.

You could move it to another location and use an ethernet cable and use ssh to connect to it (so you don’t need a TV connected). You could also gather the logs and then pull them from the SD card and use a PC to upload them (they are saved in a file called “uploadlog.txt” on the boot partition and you can copy/paste into https://paste.osmc.tv/).

my-osmc shows only “Wired” and "MySQL, no WiFi.

Looks like the built-in wi-fi is just not recognized.

Than the below is your problem and the solution for your problem. Guess best is to wait till @nazarko comes up with a solution

Yes, I can do that, but it’s going to be tomorrow.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like its going to help - unless there is a remedial patch comes out, at least I will be able to download/apply that if I can get the wired interface going.

That’s what I’m seeing.

I think @sam_nazarko needs to explore why you’re seeing the “Invalid firmware image” message.

Hi,
I am also affected by this issue. I am using an EdiMax WiFi Dongle with Realtek 8192 Chipset.
Before upgrading, I read the release notes to avoid problems. But there is nothing written about removed realtek firmware.

Because this affects multiple user, you should place there a big red advice!

3 Likes

This lead me to “Invalid firmware message”.
I have found this: USB wifi Dongle MediaTek - driver missing - Raspberry Pi Forums

And quick solution:

sudo mkdir -p /lib/firmware/mediatek
cd /lib/firmware/mediatek
sudo wget -O mt7610u.bin http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/sources/linux-firmware/mediatek/mt7610u.bin
sudo modprobe -r mt76x0
sudo modprobe mt76x0

Adding my voice here as well. Hadn’t done an update in a while and thought I would go for one. Big mistake! Now wifi doesn’t work anymore. (Realtek dongle as well, on a PI2.) I can still connect to my raspberry by spreading an ethernet cable through my house for fixing it, but need a procedure…

Since I had not updated in a while, I need a command to download and install the most recent kernel where these drivers are still in there.

Just to make sure, I need drivers for this device:

[    3.063004] usb 1-1.5.1: new high-speed USB device number 5 using dwc_otg
[    3.194552] usb 1-1.5.1: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8178, bcdDevice= 2.00
[    3.194571] usb 1-1.5.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[    3.194585] usb 1-1.5.1: Product: 802.11n WLAN Adapter
[    3.194597] usb 1-1.5.1: Manufacturer: Realtek
[    3.194609] usb 1-1.5.1: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001

Thanks,

Logs uploaded: https://paste.osmc.tv/asosehokel

BTW: I thought I had upgraded this to a newer version of R-Pi with built-in wi-fi, but when I dug it out, it has a Realtek dongle.

Nov 03 07:17:01 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 6 using dwc_otg
Nov 03 07:17:01 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=7392, idProduct=7811, bcdDevice= 2.00
Nov 03 07:17:01 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Nov 03 07:17:01 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4: Product: 802.11n WLAN Adapter
Nov 03 07:17:01 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: Realtek
Nov 03 07:17:01 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001

I have the official dongle and, after the October update, I have no wifi. Thanks for any help.

Have you actually tried this solution?

I tried this, kinda works.

I can’t manually instert a static ip (unhandled exception message) and the LED light of the OSMC dongle stays off (!)

https://paste.osmc.tv/izorexofop

Thanks for the feedback. The firmware file from
http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/sources/linux-firmware/mediatek/mt7610u.bin
is a binary file, whereas (until now) the OSMC wifi adapter’s “firmware” file is/was actually a readable text file. The fact that a binary file now “kinda” works – and the text file doesn’t – could suggest that the mt76x0 driver has somehow changed. This is one for @sam_nazarko