No Wi-Fi connection after update

I don’t want to sound unappreciative of all the work people are doing to try to find workarounds or patches for this problem but I’m not a Linux programmer. I just need something that works. Can someone post a link to a Wi-Fi dongle that we know works. I really don’t want to go by a new raspberry pi with built-in Wi-Fi unless I have to. I would rather just replace my dongle.

I posted earlier that I have the official OSMC dongle and no wifi after the October update. I did some more checking on my Pi3 and noted that I do have access to MyOSMC. When I navigate to “Network”, there is no option to connect via wifi anymore, just wired.

I disconnected my official dongle and rebooted thinking that I might force the pi to connect using its onboard adapter, but no joy.

I can connect with ethernet, but it’s really too slow to be usable for me. I need the wifi back.

I appreciate everyone’s support. Thanks for any help.

1 Like

On an older post, I found that Sam gave the command to copy the firmware file as:

sudo cp /lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.template.dat /lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.dat

Could you see if this helps? If not, you can always delete it.

The issue with the OSMC dongle should now be resolved. You’ll need to attach an Ethernet cable temporarily and update OSMC. It could take an hour for the update to reach your region.

The internal WiFi adapter for Raspberry Pi should work as before – and others have verified that this is the case.

Cheers

Sam

Just when I managed to get mine working by rolling back the kernel :slight_smile:
Thanks Sam!

Will this fix previously working Realtek dongles???
Looks like I need to upgrade that R-Pi. I have a R-Pi 4, but that doesn’t seem like a good choice for OSMC, at present.

Thanks Sam!

Just a quick update from here: I had forgotten that I added the line dtoverlay=sdhost to the config.txt file when I installed the official dongle. When I commented that line out and rebooted, I was able to connect to my wifi using the onboard adapter on my pi3.

I’ll try to update and then re-use the official dongle if the onboard adapter doesn’t work to my satisfaction.

Thanks again for the great support.

Unfortunately not. The support burden is too great for these dongles presently. They will likely be supported in the future in the form of an in-tree driver, but performance may not be the same.

Sam

Updated,still not working.

URL: https://paste.osmc.tv/yatucazowi

Should I start fresh?

The “cp” solution wasn’t working. But the binary file does. I have done test for an hour, here the result:

• LED stay off (in fact that a bug I like, because I always try to hide it, it bother me the night in my room)
  • Wifi scan (connmanctl) works, and I have attach my network successfully
  • reboot keep connection
  • HD movies/show without any interruption (NFS configuration for stream and speed with not so reliable connection (wifi))
  • Youtube streaming works

I have also upgrade hostapd by using the backport version. not sure it is useful but this combinaison works:
sudo apt install -t stretch-backports hostapd

All back to normal. This wifi dongle is the official dongle I have bought from OSMC website couple years ago (the big one 5Ghz). If upgrade stop working with their own material, thats not good.

I will keep monitoring to see if anything happend.

1 Like

I beleive this thread mixes up solutions for the Mediatek devices (install driver from other sources) and solutions for Realtek devices (downgrade kernel) am I right?

Btw I’m trying to downgrade my kernel and this won’t work:

osmc@osmc:/media$ dpkg-query -l | grep rbp2-image
ii  rbp2-image-4.14.78-4-osmc            4                              armhf        Linux kernel binary image for version 4.14.78-4-osmc
ii  rbp2-image-4.19.55-3-osmc            3                              armhf        Linux kernel binary image for version 4.19.55-3-osmc
osmc@osmc:/media$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure rbp2-image-4.14.78-4
dpkg-query: package 'rbp2-image-4.14.78-4' is not installed and no information is available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: rbp2-image-4.14.78-4 is not installed
osmc@osmc:/media$ sudo apt install --reinstall rbp2-image-4.14.78-4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'rbp2-image-4.14.78-4-osmc-dbg' for regex 'rbp2-image-4.14.78-4'
Note, selecting 'rbp2-image-4.14.78-4-osmc' for regex 'rbp2-image-4.14.78-4'
Reinstallation of rbp2-image-4.14.78-4-osmc is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.

Any clue on what’s the correct procedure?

1 Like

I’m checking this for you.

Nov 03 19:33:20 osmc kernel: mt76x0 1-1.5:1.0: Direct firmware load for mediatek/mt7610u.bin failed with error -2

I can see you’re on the updated kernel: 4.19.55-4-osmc

1. Do you have a file /lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.dat?
  2. Does the file /lib/firmware/mediatek/mt7610u.bin exist? If so, is it a binary or text file?

Suggest you wait a while for a working upgrade. (Edit: This doesn’t apply if you’re using a Realtek adapter. It’s difficult to keep track of who’s having which issues. :wink: )

Your error is probably because the package name is rbp2-image-4.14.78-4-osmc

2 Likes
  1. No i don’t,just the mt7610u_sta.template.dat .
  2. No it doesn’t.

Ok, try this command:

sudo cp /lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.template.dat /lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.dat

then reboot.

(This is the old method, so I’m not sure if it’s compatible with the new kernel.)

No luck unfortunately.

Ok. Sam says he’s investigating, so I guess we need to wait.

Oh right I just typoed this x)
Thanks, I had just given up and now wifi is back! o/

@sam_nazarko It would be great to keep that old kernel somewhere on the repositories so that people with fresh installs can still have working wifi.

1 Like

The 4.14 kernel won’t work with OSMC userland in the next update, so this isn’t ideal.