No Wi-Fi connection after update

@sam_nazarko any updates on the WiFi issue?

It should be resolved now.

Sam

No it isn’t

https://paste.osmc.tv/ipuremiqub

You’re on the latest kernel: 4.19.55-5-osmc

but this time it doesn’t (even) pick up the driver:

Nov 03 22:56:51 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 5 using dwc_otg
Nov 03 22:56:51 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=0e8d, idProduct=7610, bcdDevice= 1.00
Nov 03 22:56:51 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Nov 03 22:56:51 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.5: Product: WiFi
Nov 03 22:56:51 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.5: Manufacturer: MediaTek
Nov 03 22:56:51 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.5: SerialNumber: 1.0

That’s it. Nothing else. Back to @sam_nazarko, I’m afraid.

@sam_nazarko and @dillthedog appreciating both of you for your time and patience,can’t thank you enough.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it helps, but this is the my log file for the EdiMax , which i use on all my PIs.

https://paste.osmc.tv/iniwohayuz

That uses a Realtek chipset, so support has been removed unfortunately.

this also worked for me , loading the old kernel -

# uname -r
4.14.78-4-osmc

Wifi USB

# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
# lsmod | grep 8192cu
8192cu                648684  0

I will hold to get the latest kernel - as rbp1-image-4.19.55-4-osmc and version 4.19.55-5-osmc gave me issues on load the wifi.

I had problems with wifi tethering using the built-in wifi, downgrading the Kernel has resolved for now.

Please update once more.

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam,

I installed today’s most recent update, uncommented “dtoverlay=sdhost” in the config.txt file and I can confirm my official OSMC dongle is working again.

Thanks again.

Thanks for confirming and for your patience while we looked in to this.

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

Where can I get a USB wifi Dongle that works with the new update? I looked for the one on the OSMC store but it’s not there.

They are not selling one, but you might consider switching to a RPi3 instead as they have working wifi built in, and are considerably faster than the older models.

I get that but I would rather not have to do a whole new build. Surely that’s not the only solution for those who were caught out by this update?

If you current RPi is one of the RPi 2 models you can just swap your card into either of the RPi 3’s without a clean install. I’m sure there are adapters available that will work but I personally don’t know which ones. All I know for sure is for the time being anything with a Realtek chipset is not going to be supported.

Alternatively you can downgrade to the older kernel.

As the official osmc wifi-stick is out of stock in the shop, can anybody please tell me which sticks are supportetd? I need a 5 Ghz stick that is working after the update without Realtek chipset.
Thanks!

The OSMC-dongle should be MediaTek MT7610 based

This helped me out. I have now disabled auto updates.

Hi,

For those of us still running RPis < v3 many of us do need to use a USB WiFi dongle for network access.

I checked the wiki but I could not find an answer as to currently supported OSMC WiFi dongle chipsets. It probably would also be timely to upgrade to dual band. Is the RTL8811AU supported for example or are ALL RealTek chips now incompatible?

Currently I use RTL8188CUS as historically I have found this to be the most compatible and broadly supported for RPi uses, but that is now longer supported as of the latest OSMC update.

Thanks.