No Wifi connection since May update

My WiFi setup is fairly straight forward, Fritzbox with WPA2 + WPA3 enabled, thats it.

Thing is, the Vero worked perfectly out of the box for me until the may update.

my logdump: https://paste.osmc.tv/fopaxojuyu

So try disabling WPA3.

And how is that a solution to this problem again?
Disabling WPA3 is neither a feasible solution nor good advice to resume functionality.

I tried that using the guest network with only WPA2 and that worked, but I will not accept a solution that simply downgrades my network’s security as a solution.

Easy now, I guess that it will be a temporary solution until the problem is fixed.

It’s not a solution, it’s a workaround. A solution is being worked on.

1 Like

I’ve taken a look at this.

The previous version of ConnMan that we shipped was not aware of WPA3 and never tried to negotiate a WPA3 connection.

We updated ConnMan in an attempt to support WPA3 only network connectivity issues. But neither Vero 4K / 4K + or Raspberry Pi support WPA3 at this time. While the change to support it is implemented in software, it relies on the WiFi manufacturers implementing driver changes and they have not done so yet.

Both Vero 4K/4K+ and Raspberry Pi use Broadcom WiFi chipsets.

We should be able to support WPA3 in future hardware revisions of Vero.

For now I’m working out how to handle things better. I can either completely rip out WPA3 support, or look at a flag to allow users to enable WPA3 / auto-detect on newer hardware and enable support for it.

To put it shortly: I’d like to fix it properly.

Cheers

Sam

You won’t need to do this, don’t worry.

If you need someone to test a potential fix, I would be glad to help.

Absolutely. I’ll be putting some test builds here when I have some potential solutions here. You’ll need an Ethernet cable or USB drive and keyboard to install the proposed solutions

Cheers

Sam

Hi

Hopefully the issue is now addressed with the following commit:

This is a temporary fix, but it will solve problems in the interim and restore previous behaviour. We plan to support WPA3 properly in the near term. I need to contact the ConnMan developers first and potentially make this a configurable option.

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we potentially release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Run the following command to add the staging repository:
    echo 'deb http://apt.osmc.tv bullseye-devel main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list
  3. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  4. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you remove /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list after updating.

This will deactivate the staging repository. You can do so with the following command:
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list.

Please note that we will automatically disable this update channel after 14 days on your device in case you forget to do so to ensure that your system reverts to the stable update channel.

Cheers

Sam

Thanks to @JimKnopf for testing

1 Like

Can confirm the Vero 4K+ device is able to connect the WiFi again.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming.

Same here, works fine now with router in WPA2+WPA3 mode.
Thanks Sam!

1 Like

Hi Sam, I had time now to look into my problem further. It was the WPA3 bug as well. One repeater was on WPA2 and WPA3 mode and the Vero was always trying to connect to that one.

After the temporary fix it works fine again. Thanks