No wireless network found after update to kodi 19

Hi,

i know it’s a little outdated, but i was still on kodi 18 (OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20201227) on my Rpi2 and i decide to move to kodi 19 with the last osmc update (OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20230831) .

I made a fresh install and everything went smooth, except that when i try to connect to my network i can’t see any on the list. To be sure i went back to the previous osmc version (kodi 18) and all the network went back.

I try to install the first version of OSMC with kodi 19 (OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20210808.img) and the problem is the same.

So my first guess is that is something with kodi 19 is messing up with my wifi adaptator ? (a wi-pi adaptator ) is there something i can try to make it work ?

Thanks

Hi

We removed support for some WiFi dongles that weren’t upstreamed some time ago. It’s likely the case that your dongle isn’t supported in the kernel itself.

Thanks for your answer but the strange things is that the wifi card is visible with the lshw command :

*-network DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 2
bus info: usb@1:1.2
logical name: wlx40a5ef070ed4
serial: 40:a5:ef:07:0e:d4
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt2800usb driverversion=5.15.92-1-osmc firmware=N/A link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11

So i suppose that it’s supported by the kernel ? And it’s a very common wifi dongle specially designed for the raspberry so i would be surprised.

The only problem is that i’m unable to scan for any networks, nothing shows up. You definitively things there is nothing to do ?

It looks like it’s being detected, so you should be able to connect via My OSMC or connmanctl.

Maybe the firmware is missing.

Logs should give clues

Here is my log : http://paste.osmc.tv/lazuruhihi

Effectively it seems related to the firmware, there is this error:

kernel: rt2800usb 1-1.2:1.0: Direct firmware load for rt2870.bin failed with error -2

And when i do lshw on kodi 18 i get this:

*-network
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 2
bus info: usb@1:1.2
logical name: wlan0
serial: 40:a5:ef:07:0e:d4
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt2800usb driverversion=4.19.122-2-osmc firmware=0.29 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11

the firmware is 0.29 instead of N/A on kodi 19

Any clues on a way to solve this ?

Copy the file from the working system to /lib/firmware and it should work.

It worked ! Thanks a lot