November Update failed - MY OSMC add-on not starting anymore

Hi,

I just tried to update. I selected the manual update options in “My OSMC”. The updater then showed an error ( I have not fully seen it as I watched somewhere else).
The system has been installed with the Debian image (no update from previous debian release). In addition to OSCM im running pi-hole and nextcloud on the pi3.

After a restart MY OSMC is not starting any more. It just shows the typical error that is displayed in KODI when Add-Ons have issues and that you should check the logs

Creating a logfile does not work as well.

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo grab-logs -A -C
sudo: grab-logs: command not found
osmc@osmc:~$

Any idea what I can do and where I will find the logfile? Even after full reboot the OSMC add-on does not start anymore.

Thanks.

Tombar

What happens if you run

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot

looks like it got interrupted:

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run ‘sudo dpkg --configure -a’ to correct the problem.
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
Setting up libpcrecpp0v5:armhf (2:8.43-1+0~20200703.7+debian10~1.gbpbfc49f) …
Setting up rbp-userland-osmc (3.2.0-1) …
Setting up libssl1.1:armhf (1.1.1g-1+0~20200421.17+debian10~1.gbpf6902f) …
Setting up base-files-osmc (2.9.8) …
Fixing permissions on busybox.
Setting up rbp-bootloader-osmc (3.5.0-1) …
Setting up libfreetype6:armhf (2.9.1-3+deb10u2) …
Setting up libmariadb3:armhf (1:10.3.25-0+deb10u1) …
Setting up perftune-osmc (1.2.9) …
Setting up mediacenter-addon-osmc (3.0.692) …
Setting up libxml2:armhf (2.9.9+dfsg-1+0~20200226.5+debian10~1.gbp3b6674) …
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.28-10) …
osmc@osmc:~$

After doing this and running sudo apt-get dist-upgrade the system seems to be ok (at least I cannot see an issue right now)

Thanks a lot.

it looks like as if the update from outside of the OSMC add-on UI has not correctly set the version that is used to check if there are new updates.

Today a popup showed up indicating that new updates are available and should be installed. After pressing ok I got an error message that a “unknown package” can not be installed and that the system will restart in 30 seconds.

Once OSMC was up again a popup was display with text “Error installing: (unknown package) Please report this on the OSMC forum.”

After confirming the error message popup OSMC still seems to work properly. How does the logic work that is checking for new updates? Is there any specific version compared between local installation and the server? Can I check what is entered as version locally on my machine?

Thanks a lot.
Tombar

The system has a list of repositories (“repos”) that contain software packages. Depending on how you’ve configured MyOSMC, it queries each of the repos for a complete list of all the packages each repo contains and compares the downloaded list against the list of installed packages. If there’s a later version of a package, it becomes a candidate for updating.

Since you’re talking about a GUI notification, I believe it waits for a new OSMC package (or packages) to become available before you will see a notification that updates are avalable. I also believe that you won’t see such a notification if only Debian packages are update candidates, but I might be wrong on this point, not having coded it myself.

any idea how I can rid of the error? It just shows “unknown package”

We see these errors on the forum from time to time, though the cause is usually unclear.

I’d recommend that you SSH to the command line and run the following comands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

This will pick up any update candidates in the first step and apply them in the second step. If anything is broken, you’ll see it occurring here.

I already did this but will try again. Lets see if it helps this time.