October update issue

Seen some similar topics

Here’s my issue.

Plays 4k HDR fine. Loads the GUI in 8 bit RGB and plays 1080p movies in 8 bit RGB instead of 8 bit YUV

@sam_nazarko

Can you please upload some logs via My OSMC?
We’ll get this sorted for you.

Make sure ‘Force RGB’ is disabled in My OSMC.

Cheers

Sam

https://paste.osmc.tv/xuhuzapixe

thanks!

@sam_nazarko

Logs here.

Please grab full debug logs and re-boot immediately before playing a video that displays as RGB.

Please see How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC

I’ll check it later on today - there was something about the logs that if I had ‘kodi logs’ ticked then the n URL would just be

https://paste.osmc.tv/ < HTML>

I’ll have another go at it!

I have the same issue with the HTML showing after one or two times of it working and when I rebooted, it fixed it and the logs would be created to a real link.

Thanks matey, I was kinda half out the door doing it all, I’ll try that later and see if the guys can fix this RGB on 1080p issue.

@sam_nazarko @grahamh

Here you go.

HTTPS://paste.osmc.tv/cuseriwiti

That’s full logging after playing a 1080p file which displays as 8 bit RGB.

Cheers.

Nov 05 12:33:39 osmc kernel: hdmitx: video: Bit depth: 10-bit, Colour range RGB: limited, YCC: limited, Colourspace: YUV444
Nov 05 12:33:39 osmc kernel: hdmitx: video: Colorimetry: bt709

Apparently, we are sending YUV: Colourspace: YUV444. Can you double-check with cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config?

Projector reports it as RGB 8bit. The only thing that changed was the update. Also worth remembering that my processor uses a 10.2gbps chipset

I can check if you show my where / how to use that command line.

Details regarding how to access the command line interface can be found here on our Wiki: Accessing the command line - General - OSMC

1 Like

@grahamh

osmc@osmc:~$ cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config
cur_VIC: 32
VIC: 32 1920x1080p24hz
Colour depth: 10-bit
Colourspace: YUV444
Colour range: limited
EOTF: SDR
YCC colour range: limited
PLL clock: 0xc000029a, Vid clock div 0x000b0000
audio config: on
3D config: off
osmc@osmc:~$

So yes, we are sending YUV to your Lyngdorf. Is that maybe converting to RGB? BTW, for that log, was the projector turned on and your processor switched to it? (there is no evidence of that in the EDID).

Anyway, is it a problem sending RGB to the projector?

So a couple of things with it.

Before the update it was fine. It was switching between both. That log is from me playing a 1080p movie @sam_nazarko once remarked about it not reporting something like you mention.

I know that if change the projector to 4:4:4 now or 4:2:2 it’ll go green and pink, suggesting something is changed is it because it’s 10bit but not really.

There’s not a problem with RGB, but it should be YUV - you would sometimes see RGB movies as very contrasty and saturated - the HTPC is set to YUV as is the shield and before the update this. I’d ask why it’s not YUV when that’s what it should be.

SD Movies are meant to be 8bt YUV limited, right?

edit: I haven’t tested the movies in the right light to see if it’s suffering over saturation just yet. The Shield puts it out as YUV 8bit

OK, now you are a commandline wiz, please try:

echo 4448bitnow | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr

while you are playing that 1080p video and see what happens. If that cures it, we know what to do.

Yes, but RGB should be the same unless the display manual tells you otherwise.

And another thing:

Your processor has some Video input options for HDMI1-8 and HDCP compatibility. How are they set, currently?

That freaked it out and turned the screen blue.

I know, right - i’m making this command line thing my biznatch. Forgot of course I used Putty to load the experimental kernel… but anywho

Ehhh… I’m not sure – In the case of JVC projectors RGB would be wrong under normal circumstances, hence the issues I described before - If I set my HTPC to that it will not display the image properly.

The Shield does it when you force the resolution of the GUI play a 4k HDR movie and then back out of it, it locks itself to RGB and looks pretty bad when you go back to 1080p

It seems fine on the Vero tho…

To add also, I think HDR has a little bit more punch now in the reds. Wonky RGB looks like black crush with the wrong gamma for referrence.

You haven’t told me what make/model of projector you have. What I’m on about is this line in your log:

Source Physical Address[a.b.c.d]: 7.0.0.0

Normally, this would look like 1.7.0.0, meaning the processor is plugged into HDMI1 on the beamer, and vero is plugged into HDMI7 on the processor. Somehow, the processor is hiding the beamer from vero. So there may be some settings of the Video In and Video Out on the processor that will give you the result you expect.

Sure - so it’s setup is correct and by that I mean it’s not deviated from the normal way things are. There are options to remove certain HDCP things like HDMI 1.4, No DDC and Sink. But from this image you’ll see it’s set up as your regular av receiver.

HDMI 1-8
This section tells the source what video resolutions the total system support:
• Always - we always advertise support for the given resolution, regardless of what the TVs
on all the outputs support.
• Never - we never advertise support for the given resolution, regardless of what the TVs
on all the outputs support.
• One - we advertise support for the given resolution, if one of the TVs on the outputs
support the resolution.
• All - we advertise support for the given resolution, if all the TVs on the outputs support the
resolution.
HDCP compatibility
Generally, this should only be changed if you experience problems. The default setting is
HDCP2.2, but if there are sources that have difficulties with this, you can select one or more of the
settings.
• HDCP 1.4 – we now only advertise HDCP 1.4 support.
• No DDC – there will be no communication on the DDC (Display Data Channel), so the source
cannot read the EDID. This will also disable HDCP handshakes (High-Bandwidth Digital
Content Protection)
• Sink – the MP-50 will look like a TV to the source. As some sources have very bad repeater
support, they do not function properly with a processor like the MP-50, and this setting will
bring the source to output a picture.