Only 1280x720 resolution available

I have a big problem with my Vero 4k+ that i noticed only recently because to this day i didn’t used it very often.
The resolution is always 1280x720 and i have no chance to change it. I have no other option in “allowed resolutions” in the display setting:

I even completely reinstalled osmc, with no effect.
Here is a log from before the reinstallation: https://paste.osmc.tv/zagugijize
I noticed, that the Display Cap CTA section is empty, i saw in another thread that there shoul be values.

I tried another hdmi port on the AVR, i tried to connect it directly to the TV via the same cable, the Xbox series X is connected to the tv and displays uhd@120 Hz. No effect with the Vero, still 1280x720.

Some help please? In this state, the box is not very usable. The quality in 4k films is not good.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Here is a fresh log: https://paste.osmc.tv/olosihovof
With two reboots this time.
But i don’t know what do you expect from me to reproduce the issue. It is omni present.

There are tons of log entries like

Feb 11 22:40:39 osmc kernel: hdmitx: hw: HDMI hpd locked
Feb 11 22:40:39 osmc kernel: hdmitx: hw: ddc timeout

So, for me it looks like there is no information exchange possible using the Display Data Channel.
Hard to say what is the root cause of the problem. Easiest way would be to connect the Vero4k+ to another TV (capable to display several resolutions) with HDMI ports using another HDMI cable. If the problem moves with the Vero it looks like a HW issue of the mediaplayer. Otherwise the problem is somewhere in your environment.

@JimKnopf’s advice is good. There’s a problem of communication on HDMI. If changing HDMI cables doesn’t help, try some contact cleaner on the HDMI plugs and sockets.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions.
I tried:

• cleaning the hdmi port on the Vero with “contact spray” (its a german name for a cleaning spray for electronics, i don’t know the proper translation)
  • tried 2 more other hdmi cable that work well with other devices
  • tried it on my pc monitor

No success. :frowning:
I am quite certain now that the issue is the Vero box and not the tv/display or cable. I will contact the support via email.

Thanks. I’ll pick up your email shortly.

If it helps, i’ve just had to turn off electricity at the home at the mains, they were swapping out the energy meter. Power was cut off for about 30 mins.

when power was turned back on, i.e. a cold boot of the tv and the vero 4k+, the gui came up at 1280x720 resolution with no ability to change this in System->Display, exactly like the OP’s situation above.

A reboot of the Vero with the TV still turned on fixed this. Resolution was still set at 1280x720 after boot, but then could change it back to 1920x1080 in System->Display.

Not sure why it happened at the cold boot though.

I had today the same experience as you with only one choice for resolution in the menu…Only 1280. This happened after enabling CEC, and then a reboot of my Vero 4K+. I then disabled CEC, rebooted the box, and again had choices in the menu for resolution.

I don’t see how CEC would be in any way related at all with which resolutions your device would have been offering you. Is this behavior repeatable for you? Normally you would only see the lack of resolution options when you reboot with the display powered off.

It is quite possible that you are right.
I have owned two Vero 4K+ over a few years, and have never seen this before.
I only noticed that the picture on the TV was bad when starting my Vero here.
I have no explanation, nor is it a big deal to me other than information about what I experienced :).

I am now leaving this Vero and traveling to the next one. Will see if I can get this tested again at a later time.

1 Like

I’ve got a similar problem with my Vero 4K and my TV Sony 40EX500. Today I reboot the Vero 4K and now the rosolution is limited at 1280x720. I had no problem until yesterday (it was working at 1920x1080).

You rebooted you Vero when the TV was already on and still didn’t get 1080p as an option in your display settings? If so I would suggest to try a different HDMI cable, unplugging your TV from the wall for a minute, or uploading some logs.

I unplugged my Vero, rebooted and plugged back into a different HDMI port, and got the 1920x1080 resolution back. The I plugged the Vero to the initial HDMI port and everything works fine. Don’t know what happened.

I also noticed a problem with HDMI switch but not easy to explain. Since yesterday, when I turn on my Vero (which is on HDMI port 2 or 3) the TV switch to HDMI port 1. Same thing if I wait too long before using it (pause on a movie, or simply on the interface) : TV switchs to another HDMI port.
I tried on another TV, same problem.

You would need to power down the TV and Vero at the mains for a few minutes too clear CEC “memory”

You might also check to make sure your not plugging your device into a port listed for ARC output. I know on my LG’s this can cause weird input switching behavior.