OpenVpn port

what i’m trying to do is make it so if my vpn connection drops my internet will cut off. so a kill switch, my problem is i’m trying to find what port openvpn is using but with netstat -l i don’t see anything about openvpn

Port 1194 possibly.

any suggestions to verify this, i can always set that as my port in my script and if it doesn’t drop my connection then we know it must be something else.

sudo netstat -uapn | grep openvpn

Better to check in your openvpn config script, where the remote server’s IP address is defined (possibly with the remote port). If not set, I believe the default is port 1194.

Since the default is usually UDP/1194 (though often changed), there’s no TCP socket to see in netstat, though netstat can still show TCP sockets that pass through the vpn tunnel, which will very likely have a local IP address of 10.x.x.x,

Doesn’t that give the listening port?

user@dl:/etc/openvpn$ sudo netstat -uapn | grep openvpn
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:44329           0.0.0.0:*                           576/openvpn

I’ve got:
udp 0 0 192.168.1.102:1194 0.0.0.0:* 945/openvpn

yeah i seemed to get the same thing
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:54940 0.0.0.0:* 253/openvpn
i have it in my config files to use udp and port 443, i was hoping to be able to verify that it was using it

You’re runnung a vpn server, right?

Whoa, sorry, my mistake, thought it’s about server not client. Twas a long day. Sorry again.

no problem thank you for the help anyways!

Currently this is the config i’m using

client
dev tun
proto udp
port 443
remote atl-a32.ipvanish.com 443
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
persist-remote-ip
ca '/home/vpn/ca.ipvanish.com.crt'
verify-x509-name atl-a32.ipvanish.com name
auth-user-pass /home/vpn/pass.txt
comp-lzo
verb 3
auth SHA256
cipher AES-256-CBC
keysize 256
tls-cipher TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-DHE-DSS-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA
management localhost 1337
script-security 2

Well, if that’s what they suggest you use and it works fine, what else is there to say? :slight_smile:

Now you’ve had your original question answered, are you ok to continue with your kill switch?

yes sir i am, just wanted to be 100% sure thank you for the help