OpenVPN uninstalled and internet connection lost

Hi there,

So I tried to install openVPN and nothing worked. Therefore I tried to uninstall it again. This also removed every network connection and now I can’t access my Raspberry Pi running OSMC.

Is there any way to activate Network software again or do I have to reinstall everything?.. :frowning:

Also I am not able to open command line locally while holding down ESC on a keyboard. It just goes straight to normal screen… :frowning:

OpenVPN is already installed on OSMC. Unfortunately, Sam has made OpenVPN a dependency of connman, so you’ll have lost your network, so no SSH access. Suggest you reinstall.

Are you following the instructions from here?

• Navigate to the power icon in Kodi
  • Select Exit/Quit
  • Wait for the OSMC splash screen to appear
  • Press ESC on your keyboard
  • Login to your device using osmc for the username and password.

Hi there,

Yeah I am running the instructions. However I won’t be able to reinstall them without internet connection… Right?

Right. But you might want to back up your Kodi settings first, before reinstalling.

Yeah, but since I can’t get command line up then there is no solution to do anything. I do also have a lot of scripts which I would like to save. That won’t be possible either… :frowning:

Nevermind it worked! Now I have command line access… Couldn’t I do anything smart to get wifi access or anything? Do I need to take pictures of everything with my iPhone and rewrite? :smiley:

Back up all your Kodi stuff to a pendrive either from MyOSMC or copy everything in /home/osmc/.kodi.

If you have any scripts, you should know where they’re located, so copy them over, as well.

If you have configured /etc/fstab, copy that across.

WiFi also needs connman, so you’re a bit hosed on that front.

Yeah figured out copying to local drive was smart idea. I think this is my best solution ^^ Is there any smart solution to setup Kodi from a backup .kodi folder?

I don’t have access to a device right now but I seem to recall that MyOSMC offers both backup and restore options. (I’m sure someone else will jump in and correct me if that’s wrong.)

I’m not sure what you’d define as “smart”.

Well I will just start to reinstall… :zzz::sleeping: - Have a good night… :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Well if you want to save your current install you could download conman (and it’s dependcies) on your PC. Copy the packages to a USB stick and install them manually

If you just copied over the folder to a external drive then once you have a clean install you just need to…

systemctl stop mediacenter
rm -r ~/.kodi
mv [source] ~/.kodi
systemctl start mediacenter

and that will get all the Kodi specific sorted.