OSMC and Hyperion

It does. I also have some patches for locking if this is explored seriously by users.

Sam

I’ve compiled hyperion.ng successfully. Unfortunately the GE2D grabber doesn’t seem to work. This shows in the console when playing a video.

[hyperiond AMLOGICGRABBER] <INFO> VPU mode
    [hyperiond AMLOGICGRABBER] <ERROR> AMSTREAM_EXT_GET_CURRENT_VIDEOFRAME failed.
    [hyperiond AMLOGICGRABBER] <WARNING> GE2D capture interface not available! try Amvideocap instead

For anyone else that wants to try hyperion.ng. It is pretty easy to compile. Just install dependencies with:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git cmake build-essential qtbase5-dev libqt5serialport5-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev python3-dev libxrender-dev libavahi-core-dev libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev

And then clone repo with:

git clone --recursive https://github.com/hyperion-project/hyperion.ng.git hyperion

And compile:

cd hyperion
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DPLATFORM=amlogic64 ..
make -j $(nproc)

Binaries will be in hyperion/build/bin.

@sam_nazarko I would appreciate if you could look into ge2d capture. You do not need actually hardware to test if you use a “file device” like this:

"device": {
    "colorOrder": "rgb",
    "output": "/dev/null",
    "rate": 1e+06,
    "rewriteTime": 5000,
    "type": "file"
},

Where do I put this configuration file?
I am a complete Hyperion noob.

Thanks

Sam

Between the first { } tags in the json file located in $HOME/.hyperion/config/hyperion_main.json.
You can also use the web interface at http://host:8090 while Hyperiond is running

Edit: just checked seems the file device is used by default when first running Hyperiond. Easiest way is to run Hyperiond and use the web interface to set up everything.

I’ll see how I get on and let you know.

Sam

1 Like

FYI, after installing the packages above, my Kodi was stuck in a sad face loop after reboot
:frowning:

21:58:59.855 T:4077494272 NOTICE: InitWindowSystem: Using EGL Implementation: amlogic
21:58:59.872 T:4077494272 ERROR: EGL error in InitDisplay: 3001
21:58:59.872 T:4077494272 ERROR: InitWindowSystem: Could not create display
21:58:59.872 T:4077494272 FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to init windowing system

Luckily i was able to fix the problem by removing qtbase5-dev and related packages.

Yeah, adding some qt5 packages for building but then removing them for run-time was part of the blundering “magic” in my installer. We must tread carefully.

I’ve been away from this for a while but I thought the issues people were having were mostly with the hardware side / Phillips Hue etc which I have no knowledge of. I’m running in to an Arduino Uno R3 to drive my LED tape.

I was watching Alien Covenant at the weekend with my Hyperion Classic running and at several points the video framerate appeared to slow down, leaving the audio to run on ahead, requiring me to do a quick 10s hop back to resync each time. I’ve never noticed this with my setup before.

The audio/video sync issue I thought related exclusively to x265 / 4K playback, but I’m still at the 1080p bluray stage (so other night was H.264/AVC). Was this correct? Have I just been “lucky” all this time?

I’m happy to give NG another go if that would progress any development on this GE2D grabber.

Yes, you lucky bast… :slight_smile: I only play x264/1080p videos and have playback issues like out of sync audio/video and stuttering video. It happens about once per hour on playing videos and more frequently, while watching Live TV.

I shall see if I can more reliably/intensively break it then. Where are you getting your Live TV from? And what is the nature of the glitch there?

I have a DVB-C USB adapter plugged into the Vero. While watching FIFA World Cup games recently on German stations ARD and ZDF (720p/H.264), the video begun to stutter frequently after 20 mins. Often ending up in kind of a slow motion playback. After disabling the hyperion service, playback was flawless. Btw. i‘m running your pre-compiled hyperion binaries on a devel kernel (required for DVB adapter).

As for movie playback, so far only that movie has been a consistent problem, but I shall persevere.

I also use hyperion when retro-gaming, which is a bit different, but no frank issues there either.

My TV seems ok and with the frequency of issues you describe it should be immediately obvious.

Many variables here then, ?which are relevant?:

1. I’m streaming from a separate TVheadend server, and that using DVB-T/T2 tuners.
  2. I’m on the regular kernel.
  3. My binaries were compiled using just the options I needed, whereas the pre-compiled have everything switched on.
  4. The pre-compiled binaries are built in a regular kernel environment.

Try building your own hyperion binaries using my installer on your devel-kernel, with only the options you need. That addresses 2,3 and 4.

Try and stream your TV from another source?

Still looking in to this.

Sam

Are you involved in this? Coreelec guys has identified an issue with GE2D

I’ve installed the July update, which does support my DVB adapter, on Sunday. Running the current regular kernel, i didn’t have a single issue with hyperion in the last 4 days :thumbsup:

Yes — they need to use an iocompat fixup. I’ve told them this but haven’t had a chance to look at it myself yet

It seems the fix didn’t work: link :frowning:

It seems that we really need to give up content-dependent led-backlight functionality on Amlogic SoC without an external grabber. Too bad.
I hoped that Sam can go closer to the hw, and fix this for us, if Amlogic doesn’t do anything.

I’ve encountered further reliable slow-motion issues, now when watching my Gotham Blu-rays.

What I hadn’t realized before is that it glitches even if Hyperion is not set to react to the content i.e. just being pretty or mood backlighting.