OSMC and Hyperion

You can probably cheat. Re-install Qt, when MESA gets loaded, remove the libraries (rm) and run sudo apt-get install --reinstall vero3-userland-osmc

sorry its been a few days but ive finally had a bit of time to play.
I have:
a Pi3 running hyperion.ng latest git pull with 144 leds on my TV
a Pi2 running hyperion “classic” from the July time frame in a 1970s amplifier with 14 leds that replace the tuner backlight.

The json forwarding (for control messages) will never work because the schema changed.
The proto forwarding (for the grabber) does work as best i can tell.

We have a couple of options left:
a) use hyperion.ng on your pi as well. I have a 3rd Pi that is running an older hyperion.ng that I need to upgrade so i can test the json forwarding from .ng to .ng
b) send the led data over udp. This will require the 2 instances have the same led layout geometry.

Regarding the options I’m looking for the easiest and most reliable (least latency) solution. It’s imperative that there is no delay in controlling the leds (vero4k is wired ethernet and pi3 is wifi).
So if you know which one that is I think I should try that option.

Option A is doable, it’s no problem for me to install hyperion.ng on the pi3. I do however currently have an issue with the installation on the vero4k (as you can read in the other topic :)).
If you think option B works well enough then it’s not difficult for me to configure the same led layout geometry. In fact I already configured it the same way because I first thought that that might give a positive result to my testing.

Let’s try option b

On the 4K with Hyperion.ng configure the led device type to be udpraw.
Give it the IP address of the pi3 and port 2391.

On the Pi3 with the real leds connected:
The listener on old Hyperion is implemented as an effect in python. (I don’t think my native rewrite was ever done in old Hyperion).
The default port is 2391 so you should just be able to start the effect from the Hyperion app or Hyperion-remote command line

Ok. Then I only still need to know how to get hyperion.ng working again on the vero4k. If you could tell me how that would be great :).

BTW as I said earlier: I’m also willing to help out translating to Dutch. Send me a PM if you are interested.

I have hyperion.ng up and running on my Vero4K with AML and V4L grabber. Works like a charm. Debian package does not work so just installed the tarball.
I compiled it on an old RPI so I have no problems with the mesa-libs etc… On the PI all necessary packages are installed to build hyperion.ng. In the Vero4K only the packages necessary to run it are installed.

1 Like

Can you please tell me step by step what you did to get it running on the vero?
Thanks!

Following packages are installed on the vero:

rc  libqt5concurrent5:armhf              5.3.2+dfsg-4+deb8u2                  armhf        Qt 5 concurrent module
ii  libqt5core5a:armhf                   5.3.2+dfsg-4+deb8u2                  armhf        Qt 5 core module
ii  libqt5dbus5:armhf                    5.3.2+dfsg-4+deb8u2                  armhf        Qt 5 D-Bus module
ii  libqt5gui5:armhf                     5.3.2+dfsg-4+deb8u2                  armhf        Qt 5 GUI module
ii  libqt5network5:armhf                 5.3.2+dfsg-4+deb8u2                  armhf        Qt 5 network module
rc  libqt5printsupport5:armhf            5.3.2+dfsg-4+deb8u2                  armhf        Qt 5 print support module
ii  libqt5serialport5:armhf              5.3.2-2                              armhf        Qt 5 serial port support
rc  libqt5sql5:armhf                     5.3.2+dfsg-4+deb8u2                  armhf        Qt 5 SQL module
rc  libqt5test5:armhf                    5.3.2+dfsg-4+deb8u2                  armhf        Qt 5 test module
ii  libqt5widgets5:armhf                 5.3.2+dfsg-4+deb8u2                  armhf        Qt 5 widgets module
rc  libqt5xml5:armhf                     5.3.2+dfsg-4+deb8u2                  armhf        Qt 5 XML module
ii  qt5-qmake:armhf                      5.3.2+dfsg-4+deb8u2                  armhf        Qt 5 qmake Makefile generator tool

Not sure if the qmake is needed. I just looked what libraries were missing and installed the required package. These were sufficient to run hyperion.ng (but not to build).

On my RPI I configured hyperion.ng with following options:

-- PLATFORM: amlogic
-- ENABLE_AMLOGIC = ON
-- ENABLE_DISPMANX = OFF
-- ENABLE_FB = OFF
-- ENABLE_OSX = OFF
-- ENABLE_SPIDEV   = OFF
-- ENABLE_TINKERFORGE = OFF
-- ENABLE_V4L2 = ON
-- ENABLE_WS281XPWM = OFF
-- ENABLE_X11 = OFF
-- ENABLE_TESTS = ON
-- ENABLE_PROFILER = OFF

I enable tests as it generates a tool to verify your config-file (in stead of having to run it through hyperiond).

After a make and make package I copied the tarball to the vero and unpacked it in /usr. I first tried the debian-package but it seems to be built with a but too much RPI-dependency.
Lastly copied the systemd startup-script and modified it to start after mediacenter.service.

If you run hyperiond you can export a “default config” and start configuring it. Config has changed a little bit compared to the old hyperion but you can still copy large portions of the old config.

Hope this helps,
N.

Thanks for sharing !

Is this needed ? Does Hyperion behave badly if it starts up first ?

Not sure if it’s needed. It’s a remnant from the previous hyperion where the debian-package did work and it modified the service to start after Kodi.

Might be to prevent some error message in the log. On an occasion where I restarted Kodi I got some messages that hyperion was unable to contact Kodi (KodiChecker?). I just kept it in as it probably would not harm.

Thanks! So I’ll install the missing packages manually, but can you share with me the custom build hyperion.ng that you created? Then I can just put that on the vero and install it.

Thanks,

It will complain when it can’t connnect to kodi but should work fine and reconnect happily.

That guide doesn’t seem to be an easy way of doing it. I don’t know if you need the logic level converter and ohm resistors because the guide is for an older pi, but on my pi3 I didn’t need any converters or resistors!!!

If anyone is looking for a pi3 / osmc ambilight guide please see this: Ambilight for Kodi / OSMC

But mind you we are in the Vero4k topic and we’re still finalizing how you can get Hyperion running on the Vero4k. The guide you mention (and my mentioned guide as well) are not a straight solution for Hyperion on a Vero4k!

At the moment the status is the following:

• @nrosier has it working by having created a specific build of Hyperion.ng (new version of Hyperion still in beta) for the Vero4k and he has it connected with a Teensy running normal Hyperion.
  • I have it partially working with that same build, connected to a pi3 running Hyperion, however some video’s aren’t grabbed (seems like it’s the HEVC 10bit ones) and I notice a slight delay in the lights turning on.

So we’re not just there yet having a well working Vero4k with Hyperion.

Using a PI3 to control the LED-strip is IMHO a little bit of overkill; that’s why I use a Teensy2. Small, cheap and fit for the job (a bit like a cheap Arduino). It’s running Adalight code (Adalight/LEDstream.pde at master · adafruit/Adalight · GitHub) on it to control the LED-strip.

This has been working fine for me for the last couple of years. I used it on a PI1, PI2 and now the Vero4K. I used it with hyperion (classing) and now use it with hyperion.ng.

1 Like

Good point, though when you have Kodi already running on a pi3 it’s no overkill at all to directly connect the lightstrip to the GPIO of the pi3 ;).

In case of Vero where you need something else to connect the lightstrips to, indeed a Teensy sounds more logical.

You’re right. If it’s working, why “fix” it. I just had not enough confidence in my soldering skills etc… to connect them to the PI at the time. And I had these cheap Teensy’s lying around so… And it turned out a good decision as I can easily connect them to any USB-capable device.

1 Like

@Vince35 I am newbee and wanted to learn from you. I have RPi3 running with hyperion. Basic I was thinking about bying Vero4K but stopped because of this issue. Did you solve the issue or …

Hi Pipper.

The status at this moment is that it’s working but I didn’t find the time yet to get the colors correct. It seems they light up a bit differently than when I had it connected to a pi3. So differently that I have it turned off at the moment!
If that’s a ledstrip hardware issue or a vero4k issue or just a hyperion software light adjusting thing, I don’t know yet!

Mind you that I did solder the led strip to a usb tweensy 2.0 now because the vero4k doesn’t have pins to which you can connect the ledstrip to. Let me know if you have questions about how I did that.

For ambilight hevc capturing you need to schedule (or run after every reboot) this command:
echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/module/amvdec_h265/parameters/double_write_mode

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I stick to my setup with the pi3 which is working. Maybe when I have time I will start thinking about V4 but I am not villing to let go of my ambilight

I’ll let you know once I get the colors right, because other than buying a teensy (I wrote tweensy, I never get it right haha), which is only like 10euro, it’s super easy to connect it to a vero4k.