OSMC and Hyperion

YES please!!! :slight_smile:

Curious. I thought I may have misunderstood, but clearly not. Thanks anyway.

That’s what I did, using an Rpi running OSMC, attempting to replicate your workflow. Having trawled though the thread and even bought/setup/tested an arduino in preparation for buying the Vero4k, knowing my current GPIO driven setup was out in favour of USB.

The only difference, I think, is I used an Rpi 3 instead of 2.
As we’re dealing with classic most of it is as old as the hills so it shouldn’t be that my git clone is out of date compared with yours (and yours is long standing too).

I’ll just have to try building old classic again when I get chance and who knows… Not to worry. Certainly not my biggest problem right now!

You only need to build with AMLOGIC enabled AFAIK (I’ve also got V4L2 for my backup grabber). If it builds the binary should work on the Vero4K. Just make sure to configure the amlgrabber. Something like this works:

"amlgrabber" :
{
     "width" : 70,
     "height" : 40,
     "frequency_Hz" : 24.0,
     "priority" : 799
},

Hi,

I just receive my new vero 4k.

Now i want to install hyperion classic.

Where i can find it?

Do i need to compile it or is there somewhere a package avaible?

Thanks!

@nrosier

Ah, just recompiled classic. Found my config file was using “framegrabber” and not “amlgrabber”. That was the final piece of the puzzle to make it grab video and not just the OSD/menus.

Thanks.

Ha, actually no.
That has created the inverse situation. Video is grabbed. The OSD and home pages are not.
I’m currently tinkering to achieve both…

Hi,
Could someone share a bit more details about how did you compile hyperion “classic” and which method you used to install it on Vero if you compiled it on rpi for example? I recompiled it just with AMLOGIC enabled and created a .deb package with ‘make package’ and it actually installed it fine but it doesn’t start because it requires python 3.5 which is not yet available in official repos and installing it via pyenv proved to be difficult. Maybe I’m missing something?

I don’t see where hyperion “classic” needs python 3.5. What it could be is you installed Debian stretch on your RPi which moved IIRC to Python3.5. Classic runs just fine with Python 2.7.

Could be, that is why I asked for more details on how to properly recompile hyperion to make it work on vero :slight_smile:
P.S
Well, indeed, since I reinstalled my PI today which previously had Rasplex on it, latest Raspbian image is indeed based on Debian Stretch.

Well you just pointed me to a potential problem I might encounter soon. I just upgraded my RPi to Stretch this week. So I might run into the same problem…

So I managed to compile hyperion “classic” after downgrading RPI to Jessie, I don’t recommend trying building it on Stretch until OSMC hasn’t updated to it as well.
Now I have another problem is that video doesn’t seem to be grabbed properly, all it does, is just turn led’s to vaguely blue color and that is it. Maybe someone could share their working config? I did change “framegrabber” to “amlgrabber” though.
Also another question, is -DENABLE_AMLOGIC=ON enough when compiling or some other options need to be provided for this to work right?
Thanks

As it turns out, my setup was working more or less after compiling version successfully with simply compiling with AMLOGIC=ON and replacing framegrabber with amlgrabber in the config. The issue actually was with x265 video. I was able to solve grabber issue with this: https://hyperion-project.org/threads/x265-hevc-problem.850/ though video playback itself became corrupted. In case someone else encounters something similar, you can try this out.
Was thinking on maybe performing color calibration but for now was unable to make capturing kodi menus work, not too important, maybe will try again later. Hopefully hyperion-ng will come sooner rather then later :slight_smile:

Just got both video and menu grabbing working!

You actually need an entry for BOTH in the config, with different priorities. I used my original frame grabber config and @nrosier 's amlogic one.

// FRAME GRABBER CONFIG
    "framegrabber" :
    {
            "width" : 64,
            "height" : 64,
            "frequency_Hz" : 10.0,
            "priority" : 890
    },

"amlgrabber" :
    {
            "width" : 70,
            "height" : 40,
            "frequency_Hz" : 24.0,
            "priority" : 799
    },

Just got my vero 4k and would really like to keep hyperion working. Reading this thread there are some mixed answers. Is there a working solution or is vero support in hyperion still very much work in progress?

Short version: It’s working! You just need to use the “classic” version (for now).

Long version:
Hyperion “classic” works. There are some problems (reported afaik only by me and @Vince35) where audio and video seem to get out of sync sometimes. As we are the only 2 who reported this and we both run hyperion it is possible hyperion is the cause. Since I also have v4lgrabber built-in I disabled the amlgrabber (use by the Vero) and have not noticed this issue so this seems to confirm my suspicion.

The new hyperion.ng works (or rather worked for me) but is/was unstable. Hyperion.ng seems to have recently moved to python 3.5 which is afaik available in Debian Stretch while OSMC currently still is Jessie. There is a Stretch OSMC version but it has not been marked as stable yet.

Thanks for the response. How do you control the LED stripe with no GPIOs on the Vero. Is there a working USB Driver (using an Arduino etc) to bridge between Vero and LEDs. I would like to remove the RPI3 from the setup.

I’m using a Teensy to control the LED’s. Already did that with my RPI as I preferred a “buffer” between the RPI and the LED’s. So switching to the Vero was easy. You could also do it with an Arduino, I just took what I had lying around :slight_smile:

Awesome! Was thinking about using a Teensy too. Will look into it! Sounds promising. I hope I can connect my LPD8808 stripe to it.

Just for someone with a similar problem. I had an ESP8266 (Wemos D1 mini) laying around. The hyperion.ng project has a nice Arduino sketch that is implementing the adalight protocol using FastLED. There is no hardware spi support on the ESP yet but bitbanging is working really nice.

I did not try it on the Vero yet but got it working on the old PI3 I was using before. Just connecting the Wemos to the stripe (data and clock wire) and to the PI3 via USB. After adding "type":"adalight", "output":"/dev/ttyUSB0" and "rate":"115200"to the hyperion.config.json everything was working as before.

I am very interested in making this work, I have never done any work with hyperion, I would like to get this to work with my Vero 4k. Someone had said that they have it running of a teensy via usb. Is there a write up or can somebody point me in the right direction on how to set this up and if I need any other hardware besides the teensy and LED strip.
Thanks in advance!