OSMC arrives for original Apple TV

Which version of Ubuntu server?

15.10, fully updated.

Been waiting long time for this realis. Last night did try on my old atv 1 and got stuck on installing screen. So far i try 3 times and every time got stuck on installing screen with progress bar all full. Any ideas? All help will be appreciate.

Update. i try with a different usb stick. is moving. im on OSMC welcome screen. keep you post on this thank you

I can confirm that the Windows installer works.

I tested the Linux Installer and got the same results as you did. Iā€™m currently updating Ubuntu and will test again.

Yes, unfortunately some USB sticks donā€™t work.
A modern fast stick is best.
I successfully installed using a stick that had a slow write speed. It made osmc run very slow.
I am now using a faster one and osmc is running well.

This is great news. Any news on Ocelot? When will it be available?

Ocelot is parked as I do not have enough time at the moment

Sam

Looking for some help here. I have a Mac and ATV1. I downloaded the qt_host_installer but it has no ATV option. I also downloaded the OSMC_TGT_ā€¦1118.img.gz file. Can I just drag one of the files over to a USB stick and then stick it in the ATV to boot/install? Thanks!

Itā€™s not ready yet for Mac. Try on a Windows PC if you can

Sam

Thanks Sam. So Iā€™m trying it with a PC. Iā€™ve tried it with 2 USB sticks so far and havenā€™t had luck getting past the install screen on the ATV. After it installs on the ATV it goes to a black screen. When I use the ATV remote I can hear the tv sound when I push the buttons but no picture. What should I try next?

hi @sam_nazarko Iā€™ve just created my USB stick with OS X installer. I booted my AppleTV1 and all it is ok and run fine, but I see that the acceleration on my CrystalHD 70015 is disabled and not settableā€¦ Anyway I try to play an HD movie and it run wellā€¦ (sure that in standard AppleTV mode this was not possible).

Hi Paedrae,

Are you sure? The CrystalHD option will only not show if the card is not inserted. If it does show, but itā€™s greyed out, itā€™s because I do not allow it to be disabled. With improvements to MPEG2 and VC1 handling, I donā€™t anticipate a situation where it needs to be disabled (it can, still, however be done via a settings file directly).

If you can attach a keyboard, press ā€˜oā€™. If you see ā€˜chd-osmcā€™ on the screen, CrystalHD is being used. You can also bring up this screen using Yatse. Alternatively, run ā€˜dmesgā€™. If you see CrystalHD output about frames, then itā€™s being used.

Cheers

Sam

ok, itā€™s fine: I have Crystal listed, but greyed :wink:
Just one suggestion (out of topic) for OSMC in general: would be fine to configure network from UIā€¦ in some case is usefull to set DHCP or STATIC for many reason :wink:

Do you confirm that we are still in USB-stick only mode ?

Go to My OSMC ā†’ Network and you can do this. Same as on Vero or Pi.

Yes ā€“ HDD install may come later.

Sam

Cheers! Appreciate all your work! Donation sent!

Thanks!

Sam

On the new Apple TV 4 I am able to sideload apps through Xcode. Is there any possibility of it being compatible with the new Apple TV?

Nope. The old Apple TV is Intel hardware, and the new AppleTV is based on ARM hardware.

Sam

Great work! Any plans for Apple TV 2?