OSMC, bluetooth streaming and Bose QC35 headphones

Hi guys. First things first. Sam, thanks a lot for your AWESOME work for the RPI community.

Ok I’m streaming audio using bluetooth to my Bose QC35 headphones. A tip about this.

You have to add this line ControllerMode = bredr to the file: /etc/bluetooth/main.conf

Otherwise you couldn’t pair the QC35. After restarting the bluetooth system (or your RPI) you can comment that line or remove it, the problem happens just during the pairing process.

A couple of months ago I had yo disable the internal bluetooth device in my rpi3 (adding dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt to the config.txt file) and use an external bluetooth dongle because nothing worked with the internal one.

Has that been fixed with the last version of OSMC? (krypton)

Regards:

J.A

PD: Modify config.txt using the OSMC interface, avoid changing the file from a command line interface

Hi

Kodi Krypton and Bluetooth is an independent stack.
I wasn’t aware of this problem, but can you provide a link so I can see some further information so I can see what it actually fixes? If it improves things without regressions then I’d be happy to include it in OSMC.

We are aware of issues with the internal adapter, nothing so far, but we will stay up to date with the Pi kernel and firmware. So if any changes are made, we’ll bring them in with future updates.

Sam

Ok, allow me to explain myself better.

I had been using an RPI2 with OSMC and a bluetooth dongle for the last year. About one month ago I bought an RPI3 so I installed a fresh OSMC and tried to pair it with a Bose sound link II speakers and Bose QC35 headphones. I didn’t manage to pair with the Soundlink, I managed to pair with the QC35 using the main.conf modification I told you about but no sound at all, and even some freezings in the Kodi interface (while in My OSMC). After that I disabled the built-in bluetooth and I tried with my good old bluetooth dongle, and everything worked like a charm.

Today I have tried to re-enable the built-in interface and remove the bluetooth dongle and I nothing has changed. I can’t use the built-in dongle.

J.A

Ok

I need to do some research in to what the above line is doing and whether it’s a safe change.

Make sure you are on a recent version of OSMC.
I think I wasn’t clear re. internal adapter. It should be detected, it should pair and should on the whole work. But you may get slight dropouts with the internal adapter.

Sam

Apparently Bose QC35 had some problems pairing with LE. I got an explanation here:

Anyway the problem just happens during the pairing so you can just change the config file, pair the QC35 and undo the change, and the QC35 will be still working. So this “process” ends with the original config file and your headphones paired and working :smile:

J.A

I think a friend of mine has these headphones. I’ll see if I can borrow them off him for a couple of hours and see how to improve things.

I am unsure of the completeness of Pi’s BT LE implementation yet – I will mention this to @popcornmix at some point. It’s possible there’s just a bit of configuration to do in OSMC and that the internal adapter and current kernel driver is up to the task

Sorry for bothering this old thread. I’m trying to connect a pair of Bose QC35 headphones using the built-in bluetooth. I can connect but there isn’t any sound in the headphones. I tried to locate the /etc/bluetooth/main.conf file but there is no such file (I’m on the latest OSMC build 2017.07-1). Has anyone successfully connected to a pair of QC35?

Hi jimbju, did you find the solution ? because I have the same problem.

Regards,
Maxime

Any luck? I’m also having the same problem!

I also am having trouble pairing my Bose Quietcomfort 35 headphones.

I’ve tried the above, no luck.

Well we would need some more details. Did you install a2dp-app? Which device and which BT dongle you use?

Sorry, yes, I’ve installed a2dp-app-osmc package, Device is Vero 4K+, dongle is OSMC store Bluetooth dongle.

I seem to be getting HDMI audio sync issues now at random intervals, usually after 10 mins or so, even having HDMI audio selected (Pulse Audio deselected), but the Vero 4K+ was straight out of the box so not much testing before installing a2dp-app-osmc. Have ruled out network issues, I’m not using WIFI and my Vero 4K works flawlessly on same network share media on same ethernet cable.

Also, I’m not sure how to check if the dongle is being used rather than onboard Bluetooth.

On the Vero4K it doesn’t make sense to use the external Bluetooth adapter. That was just a work around for the Pi.
For the Vero 4K please disconnect the dongle.
So you still have pairing issues? Which step fails?

Oh, I thought the external was recommended on the Vero also, I will try on board BT tomorrow.
My pairing issue was that when pairing “without PIN” a message would say pairing failed. The headphones don’t support a PIN, but when trying “with PIN” it would pair but go into what I assume is a headset mode and say “Call from Beep” through the headphones over slight white noise, it would cut HDMI sound however as though it was trying to route audio to the headphones.

Ok, try without the external dongle tomorrow. Then if you have problems pairing via GUI I recommend pairing via CLI.

Yep, I’ll figure it out, thanks again, will keep you posted.

Yes use bluetoothctl. I assume if you put ‘bluetoothct’ into the search (top right) than you will find plenty of explanations.