OSMC boot: my request External Hard Drive?

I used to mount my external HDD to a mount point in /mnt and indeed with default options it locks up osmc when the disk is not present.
That’s why fstab has the option “nofail”
Try with this. But why do you need a special fstab entry instead of the automount in /media?
I had to do that for transmission to works, but as far as i have understood with RC3 even transmission can work with mount point in /media (am i wrong?)

DBMandrake@ The shift key is not working. I have to press the touch before splash ?

Action@ Ctrl-D command gives nothing.

Massi@ Because let my disk does not mount automatically, I am forced to put it in fsatb.

Or how to explore my sd card on windows and change fstab ?

Well, maybe we should work on this :smile:

There are programs claiming to be able to do that. I tried one time. Had to reinstall osmc.
So if you do not have important data on your osmc, start from the beginning and see if it automounts…
If you have important data, use windows program that can read ext4 partitions and copy them. Then format the sd and start from the beginning :smile:

Rather avoid again this time :sob: . With some software I can just explore but not modify.

SSH works with the ethernet cable ? I could go back to my card even if OSMC does not start ?

Yes, it must be held down before the splash screen. It’s best to hold it down before turning on the power and keep it held down until you have a command prompt.

If this doesn’t work it means you haven’t updated to RC3 as I asked you to a few posts ago.

I don’t understand how you’re making life so difficult for yourself - if it doesn’t boot when your drive is not connected why not reconnect the drive so you can boot and then remove the line you added to fstab ?

And then please run updates to get your system up to date and you will find that your drive should automount properly with recent fixes I have applied.

There should no longer be any need for a manual fstab entry for an externally connected drive.

I was able to reach the recovery console, the drive was connected, it was lacking. I edit fstab, and adding nofail.

As I already said, my drive does not automatically mounts. and I do not know why ?

I am obliged to get info in fstab. whether it be in media/ or mnt/ is the same.

I install OSMC on a new SD card. and when I connect my disc, it does not mount. Can you tell me how to get it recognized natively ?

Did you install updates after installation ? There are quite a number of updates since RC3, some relating to drive mounting.

If you did install updates and the drive still does not mount, please boot up with the drive not connected, plug the drive in, then use the log uploader to upload full logs.

I did the update, It changes nothing, the drive does not mount, the USB keys yes.

It should normally be mounted automatically on OSMC ? We must not write command lines via SSH ?

http://paste.osmc.io/omewedizav

osmc kernel: usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: GenesysLogic

You neglected to mention that you are using an external USB hub. Is this hub externally powered, and have you tried connecting your spinning drive directly to the Pi without the hub as a test ?

Can you also confirm that the drive that won’t mount is a hard drive and not a CD/DVD drive ?

Yes, both spinning disks and USB key drives should be mounted automatically on boot. I test with both types of drives.

Yes Hard Drive. And yes I use a hub, because the RPI does not provide enough current to my hard disk (800mA).

Is it because of hub ?

Have you a B+ / 2B ?
In this case, have you tried the max_usb_current=1 in config.txt (i guess this is going to work even in osmc, isn’t it?)

It can clearly be…

There should be no reason for this when using a powered hub.

You are totally right, i intended that option to use the hdd directly connected to the raspi (and understand if the missing automount is something related to the hub)
Sorry for being too concise :slight_smile:

It’s strange, now it works without the hub (I have an RPI 2), but by few times he made a bad noise, like if he had lost power click, click… I prefer to keep the hub.

In any case, even without the hub, and after to have deleted the command line in fstab. The disk does not mount also.

If you’re connecting it directly make sure you use max_usb_current=1.

Are you saying the drive automounts correctly without the hub ? Or just that it still manually mounts without the hub ?

I activated correctly max_usb_current=1

No, with or without the hub, the hard drive doesn’t mount automatically.

I’m making some further changes to the udisks-glue.conf (auto mounting system) including adding some debugging commands that should show information about any drives that are detected but which do not automount. I’ll let you know when this is released.

i’d try formatting and re-partitioning the disk :smile:
can you do that or did you downloaded the whole internet on it? :smile:

Thank you for your help. I await feedback. With nofail added to the fstab file, I have already solved the boot OSMC, not need hard disk to start.

My 1TB hard drive is busy 75% :smile: