OSMC branded WiFi dongle not running (rbp3, osmc)

Hello!

I seem to be unable to get the dongle running and connecting properly to a 5 ghz network. In the kernel log I found some error notifications apparently concerning mt7610u, but I am unable to make sense of them. Some logs are here:

https://paste.osmc.tv/jerujivazu

I appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance

David

Hi,

The wifi dongle has an auto configuration, which doesn’t always work in all environments, could you please try the following from the command line:

sudo mv /lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.template.dat /lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.dat

Then reboot.

At this point you should be able to establish a connection, if the connection speed is slower than expected; reverting to auto configuration should resolve this:

sudo mv /lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.dat /lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.bak

Then reboot.

Once connection has been established using the manual configuration, the auto configuration normally works as expected.

Thanks Tom.

Hi Tom,

I tried this, and now the 2.5 ghz network seems to be working. But not so the 5 ghz network. As well, the error message in the dmesg output is still present.

Thanks, David

Hi,

I believe those error messages are the norm, please try the following from the command line:

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/connman/wifi*

Reboot and try connecting to the 5ghz network again.

Thanks Tom.

Hi,

I tried this and the osmc panel shows a working connection but neither pinning from local network nor access from pi to local network is working.

Thanks, David

Hi,

Is this with the manual configuration file still in place:

/lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.dat

Thanks Tom.

Hi,

there was only the .bak file left.

I tried moving it to /lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.dat and removing /var/lib/connman/wifi* again. After rebooting the osmc wifi config tool showed only 5 ghz networks and managed to connect to my 5 ghz network. But again, there was no working connection.

Thanks, David

Hi,

Please add the following:

BackgroundScanning = false

to: /etc/connman.conf and reboot.

Also have your tried a static IP address?

Thanks Tom.

Hi,

I tried it, but to no avail. Also, I changed in every setting between static ip and dhcp.

Thanks, David

Hi,

Ok please reboot, enable debugs and try connecting to wifi again. If you could then please upload logs via wired again.

Thanks Tom.

Hi Tom,

the logs are here: https://paste.osmc.tv/jeqovuvina

Thank you!

David

Hi,

Could you please confirm some router settings please:

Authentication Method: should be wpa2/wpa2 personal
WPA Encryption: Needs to be aes not tkip.

Thanks Tom.

Hi,

I can only confirm that the router is set to wpa2 but I couldn’t find out anything about the encryption method. As the router is fairly new (a German Telekom Speedport Smart with rather good WiFi, but a pretty poor user interface and documentation) I would expect it to use aes encryption. Also, I never had any issues with other linux systems, as long as I had the correct driver installed.

Thanks, David

Hi,

Could try tweaking the settings in mt7610u_sta.template.dat

I would try setting the wireless mode to 13 or 14 and setting the country code.

Thanks Tom.

1 Like

Hi,

I tried wireless mode to 13 and 14 with and without setting the country code—no working 5ghz connection.

Meanwhile, I’m ready to install an ethernet connection. But anyway, if it seems to be useful, I’d happily continue to try to get the stick working with your help.

Thank you
David

Hi,

I would stick with the wired connection, I’m inclined to suspect the router is either presenting encryption as tkip/aes or tkip. If this is the case I think it will be a hard to get a 5ghz connection, unless this can be changed to aes only:

Thanks Tom.

1 Like

Hi,

just to give some kind of a final feedback: In the meantime, I got my dLAN 1200+ WiFi ac and could establish a stable wired connection (even though it’s dlan). I tried to use the 5ghz wifi provided by the dlan device and it seemed to be stable.

Anyway, I’ll stick to the wired solution, of course.

Thanks, David

1 Like