OSMC could not update (RPi 2)

Hi there,

Since the last few weeks I have a problem, and in some times a day OSMC pops-up a sad smiley and reboots. (interesting part, that I have experienced: if I let it reboot it usually fails again after a few seconds/minutes but if I give it a power cycle it seems to be fine. for a while…)
Anyway, I had no time unfortunately to investigate the issue and check the log files, searching for the root of the issue. As the new release is out I was going to update my OSMC it may fixes this behavior. Well, the update stops at the very start saying “unknown package”.

Could you please check my log files or give me some suggestions? You may see sg interesting in it regarding the issue.

logs: http://paste.osmc.tv/sazumopomu
used HW: Raspberry Pi 2B+
If there is anything I could provide as information pls let me know.

Thank you in advance

Error: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg received a segmentation fault.

Such a seg fault probably indicates a need to reinstall and seriously consider replacing the SDcard while doing so.

1 Like

Hi,

It seems like your SD card may be problematic.

Some SD cards are not genuine or have a lower capacity than advertised. Some simply fail over time.

Symptoms of SD cards not working correctly are:

• Read-only behaviour, or changes made not persisting
  • A filesystem corruption error

Symptoms of counterfeit SD cards are:

• Writing works until a certain filesystem size is reached, thereafter, writes seem to cause issues where existing data is lost or newly written data is not preserved.
  • SD card fails after a short amount of time.

Counterfeit cards are usually found on Amazon and eBay.

SD cards have a limited lifespan. I recommend you change SD card and suspect that issues will no longer persist with a good card. If you would like to be a good quality SD card purpose manufactured for OSMC, then you can find one in the Store.

Hi @sam_nazarko, @ActionA,

Thank you for the fast response, and sorry for my delayed reply. I had no time to check it. Yes, you are all right that was the issue. I could not even format the SD card, so I had to change it. I have restored a backup, now updating to the latest release.

Regards,
qdzsy