OSMC crash when scanning library after latest update (sad face)

Sorry for kicking the corpse here.
Did you get this sorted? I have the same issues, i havent started digging too much, but i use a vero and autofs, the protocol is NFS. Other than that, i have the same effect you are seeing, i can scan separate direcotries but not the whole “root” directory.
Tested different scrapers, NFS in kodi directly etc but nothing helps.
The movies are added w/o any issues, but the tv-shows scan crashes kodi every time.

Perhaps bumping the RAR and archive add-ons will resolve this.

Hi Sam,
I started digging a bit but need your insight.
My situation is stated above, using a vero4k+, scanning a autofs share of folders over NFS gives me the sad face on screen.
You should be able to find debug logs at https://paste.osmc.tv/fanodironi
I doubt this is related to the rar and archive addon but i might be wrong.
But it could of course be a another addon that is causing the issue.
I had a Pi before the vero (which i started using a couple of weeks ago), on the pi i had no issues but i used SMB on that one.

Any help would be appreciated.

I would start by disabling this and see if the issue goes away…
ADDON: script.service.checkpreviousepisode v0.3.5 installed

Thanks for the input.
I uninstalled that plugin and not just disabled it. Rebooted and tested again.
Sadly that had no effect. I think that runs when i start a new episode and shouldnt interfere with the scanning process but thats just guesswork from a novice :slight_smile:

When did the crashing during the scan start (was it only after adding a specific file to your share)? Do you still have the Pi in service and if so can you see if it crashes during the scan (or any other device attached to that MySQL db). When you moved to the Vero did you copy your entire userdata folder? It is a shot in the dark but you might trying changing your screensaver to “dim” and settings>media>videos>use video tags>(disable).

Thanks for the long shot, at least that was an idea but i’m all out of those:)
Sadly you suggestions had no effect.

The crashing begun when i started using vero. Nothing was added per se but i did notice a show and a few movies missing from the library so i figured id do a “update library” when i had installed the vero.
That’s when i noticed the issue which i never seen on the pi.
The pi is not in service anymore, the SD card is wiped.

When I installed the vero i created a backup through the osmc menu, but i also had backups running every night on the pi through the “backup” add-on.
I used the “osmc backup” to restore the system on the vero, noticed the issue so i wiped and tested the other backup as well. The issue persisted.
I figured it could be something with the DB so i dropped the sql db and basically created a fresh library, so i first scanned the movies, then the tv section. It still crashed when scraping the tv shows.

I’ve just poured a glass of wine and my “test” now will be to reset the vero and start from scratch, not using backups and see if that helps, I’ll report back.

I really appreciate all the help @darwindesign!

The issue with using backups from a pi is that ~/.kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml from a pi is not compatible. You should be able to recycle sources.xml, passwords.xml, and advancedsettings.xml without issue though. Rather than starting from scratch and having to setup fstab again I would recommend just resetting Kodi…

Summary

Let’s test with Kodi default settings. Enter the following commands with an SSH connection.

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bak
systemctl start mediacenter

If needed you can restore:

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bk2
mv ~/kodi.bak ~/.kodi
systemctl start mediacenter

If your original setup was restored as expected and you want get rid of the unneeded clean install you can delete that with the following command.

rm -r ~/kodi.bk2

I’m not aware of anything with the MySQL that could be causing this. If you really think this is the case then you might just try setting up a second profile and set that up with the same sources but without using MySQL as a test.

I feel like a fool, of course guisettings.xml shouldn’t be restored on a vero, it’s logical.

Anyways it seems to be working after the reset.
I scanned the tv shows and it completed, previously it crashed within 5 seconds. Remember that it was already partially scanned through manually going to each show and choose “scan to library”. (Didn’t work for all of them)

Just to verify 110% i set content to “none” and back again and rescanned the whole thing, its still working but seems fine so far. I post back here if it doesn’t work but I’m pretty sure it will.

Some kind of PEBKAC involved as usual :slight_smile:
You sir, saved my sanity, thank you!

1 Like