OSMC crash when scanning library after latest update (sad face)

Hi everyone!

After the latest update, when I try to update my library, after a few seconds OSMC gives me a sad face, then reboots. Does anyone know what might cause this?

I have tried to reinstall OSMC and tried a folder with 5 (or so) movies in it and it worked fine, but when I try to add some of my series, it crashes all the time. Very frustrating!

I have not changed anything since before the latest update, except activate .rar support plugin, since thats how my movies and series are stored. It worked flawless before…

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

We need debug enabled logs demonstrating the issue rather than speculate on any number of possible causes.

Sure thing! Do you want me to select “All Configs and Logs” before I upload, or is there something I should skip? Anything that would be wise to edit out? :wink:

We’ve written the instructions to be as clear as possible.

Only you can determine that. Save them to disk if you’d like to scrutinize/sanitise them prior to sharing.

Sorry if I’m being difficult!

Here is the log: https://paste.osmc.tv/comosebero

I don’t see an actual crash, but it was in the process of scanning one your your series that are in a RAR archive (American Gods). Can you try moving all of the RAR series to they are not scanned and see if that fixes the problem?

Thanks for the reply!

I tried to scan another folder with series (also in .rar) that I have on another computer and that worked fine, so I guess it has something to do with my server, which is weird because there wasn’t any issues updating from server before the OSMC update.

I tried to create a new log, but when I tried to upload, it gave me an URL like “paste.osmc.tv/< html >”. Tried several times, but same thing happened then.

My server is running Windows Server 2016. When I tried to browse SMB share to add the server, I got “Operation Not Permitted”, but it worked fine when added it through “add network location…”
I think thats how it was pre-update as well.

This typically means your logs are too long. Reboot twice to clear the current and old log and create logs again.

The issues with Kodi’s SMB implementation seem to get more, so I only can suggest to move to fstab or autofs based solution for future stability.

Here is a new log: https://paste.osmc.tv/pigojuyaru.xml

First I scanned a movie folder (.rars) without issues, then I scanned a different tv folder on my server (this time mounted with fstab) and the same problem happens. A blue screen with a sad face appears, then it reboots. I’m clueless!

Thanks for your help so far!

It’s now having problems with Angie Tribec, and that also appears to be an RAR archive.

Looking at the log I see that you are using TheMovieDB as your TV scraper information provider?

2019-04-30 00:27:20.029 T:1782547168   DEBUG: GetVideoDetails: Reading episode 'http://api.themoviedb.org/3/tv/61969/season/3?api_key=6a5be4999abf74eba1f9a8311294c267&language=en&append_to_response=credits,external_ids,images&include_image_language=en,en,null' using The Movie Database scraper (file: '/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/metadata.tvshows.themoviedb.org', content: 'tvshows', version: '3.1.0')

Well, yes I used it this time as it’s default one, but I usually use The TVDB. I also tried to switch to The TVDB now, but with the same result. Rebooted on the first show in the folder (American Gods was first show in “drama” folder)

EDIT: typo

Is all of your content saved as RAR? Can you temporarily move the RAR stuff and see if the problem goes away? They did change how RAR is handled in V18 (turned it into an addon), so maybe there is a bug there. The Kodi crash isn’t really showing much, just a Segmentation Fault. Many times that a out of memory issue, but really hard to tell.

Or, is there any real reason why you keep the RARs instead of just unpacking them?

Yes, its all RAR.

I don’t think RAR really is the issue, because I scanned a folder on my PC with 30-ish shows (all RAR) and it found everything and finished like it should. But it’s when I try to scan my server it reboots!

The CPU/Memory info in the top left corner don’t really show any spikes either when I try to scan my server (or PC for that matter), so I don’t think its the memory issue. I also had no problems scanning the server before the latest update.

What reboots? The Pi is not rebooting, Kodi is restarting. If the server reboots that’s gonna cause problems.

If you move a problem show to the PC from the server does it then properly scan?

Oh, sorry! I meant PI rebooting, but I didn’t know it was just Kodi that restarted. I’m a bit of a newbie as you might have guessed :wink:

It shows some terminal stuff in the top left corver when it happens, but its so small and only there for a second, so I can’t catch what it says.

I tried to remove the problem show now, but the same thing just happened on the next first show.

What happens if you move the RARs to the PC instead of the NAS (server)?

I have the exact same issue after the new update. Did you get a solution for this @bobsaget ?

@bobsaget, did you resolve this issue in any way?

I’ve in my troubleshooting ruled out the memory, since watching “top” when SSH into the Vero 4k+ and performing the scan it’s not even near to spike in memory.

I’ve also come to the conclusion that if I scan every folder inside the “homefolder” seperatly it works without issues. The problem only occurs when I’m trying to scan the whole homefolder for some reason…

It would be nice if you could reproduce this issue to scan homefolders with a lot of rar-archives to get a fix in an upcoming patch. @bmillham @sam_nazarko

@mrjackeb @svanteo @bmillham

sorry for the late reply boys! i kinda gave up, but decided to give it another go yesterday.

i’m still having the same problem, and that is kodi restarts when it scans my (rar)share from the server. gives me the sad face. no issues when scanning my computer, which has rar’s as well.

i have another pi that is running libreelec with an older kodi version (before the rar support was moved to add-ons) and it has no issues scanning from my server, so this is something that has happened after recent updates.

share is mounted in fstab and i’ve tried other methods as well, but the result is the same. i’m clueless and thinking maybe i just have to go back to an older version if this isn’t fixed in the near future.

if anyone have any suggestions, i’ll gladly hear them! any help is much appreciated