OSMC crashes if stop button pressed at end of playback

Hi,

Moving to RPi3B, would be a good test. I think its failing hardware, so either the pi2, sd card or PSU.

Thanks Tom.

But why would a failing PSU affect only when the video played is on the network rather than on local storage? Note that the local media filesystem is a USB2 connected 1 TB 2.5" hard drive (mechanical), which to me would imply using more power than reading over the network.

I tried to find the crucial point in the logs myself but failed…
Anyway, I have found the RPi3 candidate now. The other one is a VPN server so it must stay where it is.

Yesterday I tried to reproduce this issue with a RPi3B+ … but I was not successful; the main deltas to your env. were

• RPi3B+
  • actual OSMC development stage
  • smb server is a vero4k+
  • using a bluetooth remote control (Logitech hub + Logitech App on Anrdoid)

You’re talking about a Pi3B … this model has lower CPU clock rate, only 100 Mbit/s ethernet but also lower power current than the Pi3B+.
If the switch to the new RPi still creates issues at your side, I could try to also activate hdmi CEC and try it with my Panasonic TV but let us first wait for your findings.

1 Like

So I have done this now after deciding on the RPi3 to use:

• Shut down the RPi2 OSMC and pulled the SD card
  • Put it in a USB card reader and plugged it into an RPi4
  • Put the target SDcard into another reader and plugged it into the same RPi4
  • Fired up Gparted on the RPi4 and located the two SDcards there
  • Erased the partitions from the target SD card
  • Copied the partitions from the source SD card

Next I returned the cloned SDcard into the RPi2 and verified that it would start like before, which it does.

Finally I inserted the original SDcard into the RPi3 I had found and hooked it up to the system replacing the RPi2 and started it.
Worked fine!

And now I have tried a few times to cause the crash without any such problem! :slight_smile:

I noted also that the new OSMC hardware works a lot faster when switching videos than the RPi2 did, so hopefully this move to a newer more powerful platform has solved the issue!

I will keep my eyes on this a while more, though.

2 Likes