OSMC crashing since last update

Hi

I hope someone can help please. Since the last update my Vero 4K+ is crashing intermittently with sad face, see URL to log file below , never while watching anything but after I stop the movie and start moving through the menus.

Just to add, since I have had the Vero, I have always had to update manually, because it fails doing it through OSMC.

https://paste.osmc.tv/equqogehin

Thanks

James

Try to remove/uninstall the Embuary info addon, i have experienced crashes with that add on on OSMC when this addon is installed, but not on Kodi on Windows, strange enough.

1 Like

Thomas

You may of hit the nail on the head, I did see an Embuary error pop up a couple of weeks ago. I have uninstalled Embuary, and so far so good, although I am not sure what I will be missing with this addon uninstalled.

If it works, thanks for fixing the issue.

James

Hello, I’m having the same issue, OSMC is giving the sad face ever since an update a few years ago. I haven’t had time to mess with it until now. I’d like to revert to before the update and lock out all future updates. The error is

Dec 31 01:35:04 osmc mediacenter[293]: /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin: error while loading shared libraries: r_traitsIwESaIwEE4nposE: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This same shared library error comes up when I attempt to run the manual update command:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

logs are here:
http://paste.osmc.tv/uqamezokeq.vhdl

Thank you if anyone can help. I tried holding shift+ctrl on boot based on another post, but nothing happened.

Hi @cuisinart1,

Doesn’t appear to be the same issue to me, as the OP is having issues on a Vero 4K+; where as you logs appear to be from a Raspberry Pi2.

It looks to me like your sd card has failed. I suggest installing to new SD card and restore settings from a backup. If that doesn’t work please create a new topic in the correct category.

Regards Tom.

Hi,

It seems like your SD card may be problematic.

Some SD cards are not genuine or have a lower capacity than advertised. Some simply fail over time.

Symptoms of SD cards not working correctly are:

• Read-only behaviour, or changes made not persisting
  • A filesystem corruption error

Symptoms of counterfeit SD cards are:

• Writing works until a certain filesystem size is reached, thereafter, writes seem to cause issues where existing data is lost or newly written data is not preserved.
  • SD card fails after a short amount of time.

Counterfeit cards are usually found on Amazon and eBay.

SD cards have a limited lifespan. I recommend you change SD card and suspect that issues will no longer persist with a good card. If you would like to be a good quality SD card purpose manufactured for OSMC, then you can find one in the Store.

If you browse around a while in the embuary info dialogs on windows, and watch your memory, you’ll notice it eventually suck up all the memory there was well. I’ve managed to crash kodi on my 32G (64g with the virtual memory) linux server from browsing around in embuary info. (kodi basically stalls out once it gets into the 32g-40g range, and then crashes) It’s a neat enough idea (replacing extended-info which also pulled live data from themovedb site to explore related movies, shows, and actors for items you don’t have in your library), but it doesn’t free up the memory afterwards, so I can’t recommend using it (even though my skin has support for it) for any situation where you expect kodi keep running all the time.

3 Likes