OSMC doesn't boot on power strip toggle

My setup is OSMC on Raspberry Pi 3 and I have it plugged into a switched outlet on a smart power strip. The switched outlet turns on/off when my television is powered.

When I turn on the television, I can see that the Pi powers up and has activity on the LEDs, but OSMC won’t boot. I can get it to boot if I unplug and plug back in the USB cable.

What am I missing? It seems like this is the same thing - power/no power. Why won’t OSMC boot when the smart strip powers on the outlet?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Raspberry_Pi_FAQ#TV_is_not_detected_unless_powered_on_first

Thanks for the link. I thought the issue could be related to the HDMI switching, but I wasn’t sure how. The link refers to the television being switched on after the Pi. In my case it’s on before the Pi, but only about 6-7 seconds (smart strip). Is this span of time too short for the HDMI to pick up?

Ah, and then I have CEC disabled on my television. It came that way default, but I thought it would interfere with my Harmony 700 remote - so I never enabled it. It’s my first HDMI capable television (just got rid of a 20+ year old set) so I’m not familiar with the tech or nuances. Do you have a recommendation for the CEC settings for the television with the mix of devices being controlled by the Harmony? I know this is a Pi related topic. :slight_smile:

Leaving cec enabled will have no effect on your Harmony.

6-7 seconds is likely not enough time for the TV to complete it’s boot process. So when the pi boots, the TV is still not ready to advertise capabilities to the pi. Following the linked instructions should resolve this.

Awesome, I’ll give it a shot and post my results. Thanks for all the input ActionA and popcornmix!

Depends on the TV, if there’s an AVR, etc.

Most TVs can provide a correct EDID in this time.
But there are new Smart TVs running Android and I think these are slower to load.

If there is an AVR in between, they often give a stored EDID to advertise device presence and try and keep the connected device happy until the receiving device is fully powered. Then they usually trigger an HPD, but not always.

Okay, looks like I’ve got it fixed. My error was is in not getting the “connection” between HDMI and the Pi booting. I’d also left out an important configuration detail that proved to be the culprit. I had the RPi hooked up to the television with an HDMI switcher (not enough TV inputs). I removed the RPi from the switcher and plugged it directly to the TVs 2nd HDMI and that solved my problem.

So for anyone stumbling on this thread, beware of connecting through a switch.

Thanks a bunch for all of the help folks!

While the discussion about the HDMI timing is interesting and it seems you found a solution I wonder that no one actually asked how you ensure a clean shut down of the Pi?
Because just switching off the power without clean shut down can get you into trouble in the long run.

1 Like

Funny, that’s what I was trying to straighten out now. As it stands, I need to shutdown from the Kodi interface before turning off the television. It’s my understanding that this counts as a clean shutdown to the RPi. This isn’t ideal, so I’d like to figure out something a little more elegant. I can hear people mumbling that I should just keep the thing powered all the time. :slight_smile:

What do you think you are avoiding by shutting it down?

Well would for sure be the easiest solution.
Other options are:
A cronjob that shuts the Pi of at a certain time
Monitoring TV status with a script to shut down the Pi
Adding one of the small UPS modules that can shut down the Pi

I’m speaking in general terms here, this isn’t directed at you personally… :slight_smile:

Well, the argument is that the Pi uses so little power that you can just leave it on 24/7 for pennies. This is kind of like an argument I used to hear about my old Droid DNA phone that had a ridiculous startup sound that couldn’t be disabled without rooting it. Asking around for tips always brought back the response “just don’t turn off your phone.” On principal, I just don’t like that type of solution. If it’s possible, figure it out and offer a solution or state that it’s simply not possible.

Specifically, I’m trying to utilize a smart strip to power things down that aren’t being used. It works perfectly right now on startup and shutdown except for the Pi need the extra button work. I have a Harmony 700, so my next step is going to see if I can map a sequence or something because I haven’t tried that yet. This is all new stuff that I’m picking away at as I get a few minutes here and there.

I have to say again, thanks for all the feedback folks. This is a great experience on the discourse.osmc.tv boards…very responsive members…not what I expected.

We are always happy to help.

Most of our users leave their devices powered.
As the Pi does not implement a power switch, it will always be a bit hacky to deal with this kind of scenario (powering things off when done).

There are some third party solutions that may help, but we haven’t really tried them. If you do find something that works well for you, please report back as I am sure it will benefit many of our users

Sam

I created a key sequence and stored it to a button on my Harmony 700. So now I just need to press that before pressing the master power down button…two presses instead of one. But all things considered, it’s pretty close to ideal.